1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emotional and Practical Dilemma

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by sdtundra, Jul 14, 2009.

1. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Love my 2008 Package 2, it has 22,000 miles on it. So far it has the B&G lowering springs on it and 1 more thing on the way that I'm not sure I can give details on until I receive the product but anyway.

I'm 20 years old, work as an EMT currently bringing home around $2000-$2200 a month living at home. I still owe around $8k on my Prius and pay $175.43 a month. I bought it when I was commuting a lot and going to school and working 20 hours a week. Now I work 40-60 a week and my commute is a whopping 11 miles roundtrip. O and I also live at home still.

The dilemma is, part of me wants to keep my Prius because of the MPG, practicality and cargo capacity, but the 20 y.o in me wants to trade it/sell it for a convertible. It's been in the 80's-90's here as it usually is and just watching everyone cruising in a convertible makes me jealous.

What I am trying to say is, is it just the stupid 20y/o in me wanting to get a car and enjoy it before I settle down with a practical car and get married? Everyone I know tells me to enjoy being single and young and I can get another Prius when I turn 30.

2. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am the first to acknowledge the role of emotion and pleasure when making decision. But also, I try as much as I can to be acutely aware of how my decisions affect others. I try as much as I can to decide for what causes the least amount of harm or most benefit to the world.

In your case realize that your enjoyment of the impractical car is entirely artificial and that there is likely more long term enjoyment to be had with the Prius. Just cutting by 3/4s the time spent at the pump is worth it for me.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Next to owning a house, a car is probably the biggest purchase most people make, so it's not stupid, unusual, or unexpected to want to get the most enjoyment out of it as possible. It's entirely up to you to figure out what will give you the most enjoyment. Yes, convertibles are fun... but having spent some time driving around my mom's SLK-320 (frickin sweet car, great engine, hard top convertible... drool), i can tell you that it tends to lose a bit of its fun after a while. Think of it this way: If you spent your entire life eating vanilla ice cream, and then saw people eating chocolate, you might think chocolate is so much better... but then you spend a month eating nothing but chocolate and get sick.

For me, there's no question in my mind what i would do. The cargo space in the Prius, my roof rack, and my Kayak all make the Prius a hands down winner. A convertible simply could not keep up with all of my activities. Throw in the 44k miles i've put on it in the past 3 years, and the money i've saved in fuel costs, and it's a no brainer.

That and Minnesota winters can be damn cold... I wouldn't want a convertible in those!

4. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I vote for the convertible...

<--- But that's just me.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The practical side says - how much more will the convertable cost and how does that impact your savings for a house, vacation, kids, retirement etc? (20 is the best time to start saving for all of the above!). I try to be conservative with my money (doesn't always work), but having cash in the bank has helped me through some thin times.

The less expensive option would be to treat yourself and rent a convertable for a weekend or a weeks vacation. You could enjoy it and give it back.

7. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Seconding what Bica2go suggested - save up and rent a convertible for a weekend or a few days when the weather is nice.

You have the advantage of time right now. Saving now - even just a little bit at first and even with low interest rates - will give you many more options later on down the line.

8. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the input guys. The one I am looking at is a 2007 Solara Sport. 12,500 miles asking $19,950. EPA is 21/28 with a 3.3 V6 and functional backseat. Other option is a Mazda MX-5.

Also, I may rent one to see how I like it before buying. I will be driving to Santa barbara in August and may use that as the chance to check them out.

9. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    He lives in San Diego...He can drive it year round and leave it with the top down in his driveway with no worries. (I was just in S.D. visiting family but now back in overcast but beautiful Mass.)

I would go for the convertible, were I in your shoes. I mean, you drive everyday, so why not making that a little more pleasurable? Also, there are so many times in life when you can't have things the way you want them...I think it's good for the soul to have something you want and that makes you happy when you can get it.

10. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Who said you have to give up practical for youthful or vice verse? I'm a shade of 55 and my Prius is new, which I am adapting to and enjoying quite a bit (I don't miss the Durango 5.9 R/T I sold), but I retain some of the youthfulness (maybe it's stupidity) because my other car, which I am not giving up, is a Harley Davidson FLHTC.

By the way, Evan, nice looking soft-top.

TK

11. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    sdtundra,

While on the surface the choice of your Prius or a convertable may
    seem to be important... in the long run it is not.

However, the special condition that you enjoy, living at home, is
    what creates the financial independance that you enjoy on your
    limited income.

As to renting a convertable, yes, you should do that.

But you should do it for your Mom and Dad. They would probably
    think it was a hoot, maybe even reliving some magic times in their
    past... maybe add a nights stay at a good beach-front motel. :rolleyes:
    However good your relationship is with them, it will get even
    stronger afterwards.

Now you're talkin'!

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, considering your commute is 11 miles, is that going to change in the near future? You could sell your Prius for a good price, get a used car, and put the money in your pocket.

Sometimes one has to have a little fun in life too. My FJ Cruiser, in the past 6 months I've put a whopping 2,000 miles on it. It usually sits in the garage.

My FJ is driven so infrequently, the Battery Minder is a must-have accessory

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you need a car at all to go 11 miles? Get a bicycle, and spend the rest on dates to show off your improved physique. :D

14. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to consider how much higher the payments would be, and how much more you will spend on gas (I know you must drive more than JUST to work and back!). If that amount over and above your current payment would make the payment on a used Miata (or, my favorite, the MR2 Spyder) you might consider the best of both worlds: keep the Prius and add a "pleasure" ride.

My last convertible was a 1987 Alfa Romeo spider, bought new in 1988. I lived with the 2-seater as my only ride for about a year. I ended up adding a used Shelby CSX to have an enclosed, 4-seater - the convertible was fun, but noisy on the highway (top up or down) and eventually it kinda got tiring to live with.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The problem with a convertible is that the direct sun on your head will fry your brain. I'd much rather have a roof and air conditioning. Now, with an 11 mile commute you could have a really fun car and save money at the same time: Sell the Prius and get a Zap Xebra. Here in WA the Xebra costs 2 cents per mile to drive (3 miles per kWh) and there are no oil changes, because there's no oil.

16. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the commute is only for now...I plan on moving back to Arizona in about a year. The higher payments don't make much sense right now so it looks like the Prius will be staying. I did find a 1992 Miata with the hardtop for $1500 at a repo yard. I did inquire at the Del Mar Fair about an electric scooter so we will see how that works out. I have thought about riding my bike and I may just do that tomorrow morning. I work at 4AM which means I have to be there to inspect the rig. Only downside is when I have to ride home at 2PM in 95 degree weather wearing navy blue uniform pants and a uniform shirt...but I may just bring shorts for that. My house is about 200 feet higher than where I work so I will def. get a good workout and still have the "open air" feeling.

EDIT: I'm going to ride it right now just to find out how long it would take. Google states an hour and 50 minute by foot and 15 by car so maybe 30?

17. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have a good friend that uses a Miata for track racing... it is quite a spirited little scooter when you mod the engine (he just put on a CARB approved turbo kit) and put sticky tires on it. Good mileage out of it too... if you do that kinda thing, buy a rollbar.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not stupid to want it, but giving in to jealousy over what other folks are displaying is an extremely well traveled road to financial problems. Many folks make stupid choices early, and spend decades recovering. Cars are major money drains, and trading cars frequently makes this much worse.

Make your existing car last as long as you can. You don't need to keep it 20+ years like my household does, but if you can keep car trades down to less than once per decade, you can be financially independent much sooner. Most of those folks with the fancy convertibles are either already independent, or never will be.

FWIW, my new Prius replaced an Accord hatchback that I bought in 1986.

19. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Fun is so individual. I live out somehat in the county. I really like being able to:

- run in EV mode with the windows open in the beautiful weather, taking in the sounds, sights, and smells of the countryside.

- be able to wait at a light or in stopped traffic with no noise coming from the ICE.

- experience the smoothness and quietness of my 2009 on both highways and backroads.

We just took an over 1800 mile round trip in our Prius. I found it to be very enjoyable, and not fatiguing. Very relaxing for a small to mid-sized car.

All those are fun to me.

Best wishes,

Frank

20. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I was your age, I had to have a convertible. I had a '60 'Vette, a '59 Austin Healey Sprite, a '62 Sprite, a '67 Sprite, a '76 Triumph Spitfire, and an '81 Triumph TR7 Spyder - from my teens through my early 30's. Convert's are a mixed bag. On the downside, they're noisy, easy to break into, heavier than a hardtop with more chassis flex than most hardtops, more maintenance intensive, and DANGEROUS.

I remember pulling up onto the sand at Morrow Bay with my girlfriend with the top down - not hers, the car's. We were admiring the beautiful view when suddenly, I couldn't see anything out of the windshield. Two large seagulls deposited their bird-doo in two MASSIVE SPLATS - one in front of my face, the other in front of hers. They covered the entire windshield. If I had been going a few feet per minute faster, we would have gotten plastered - and not the fun kind. I'm telling you, convertibles are DANGEROUS!

Mark