1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Empty" fuel warning: results of an experiment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ericst, Apr 9, 2004.

1. ericst

ericst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Because of the uncertainty that seems to ensue whenever any of us gets a flashing "E" bar on our fuel gauges (how much gas do I have left at this point? how much further can I drive?), I decided to conduct a little experiment.

I decided to note the odometer reading at the exact time the "E" bar started flashing on my vehicle, and then to drive the Prius until it ran out of fuel, following the odometer reading & MPG gauge along the way. And because of the well-known dangers of driving the vehicle without fuel, I made sure that I was ready for when the inevitable would occur--with a 2-gallon gasoline container in the back.

RESULTS:

From the time the flashing "E" bar and the "Add Fuel" message first appeared on my Prius, I was able to drive exactly 102 miles, with a computer-displayed tank MPG rating of 37. After the 102 miles, the inevitable happened, with the large red triangular exclamation point and all kinds of other amber warning indicators on the dash indicating that I was out of fuel. I could indeed continue to drive the vehicle at this point, but only at slow speed, using the battery. Because I was prepared with my gasoline container in the back, I only ran the vehicle for approximately 30 seconds in this out-of-fuel condition (basically the time it took me to safely navigate to the side of the street and park & shut down). Interesting to note that during the out-of-fuel time period, battery level was going down quickly--lost about 2 bars (from 60% to 40%) in less than a minute.

Environmental conditions: Chicago city driving, a lot of shorter trips, relatively cold weather with temps generally in the 40s (some down into the 30s, some up in the 50s). This, by the way, accounted for my fairly "low" 37 MPG (which is still more than double what my previous Chevy Prizm was getting in the same conditions). Vehicle has ~ 1K miles on it; tires have been kept at 38/36 front/rear psi. Actual MPG on my car has generally been 2-3 below computer-displayed values.

And for those of you who are wondering about the ever-popular "tank capacity" question, I was able to fill up with 11.4 gallons (including what I poured in from the gas can) after running out of fuel, using the semi-aggressive fill-up methods detailed elsewhere on this site.

INTERPRETATION & SUGGESTIONS:

1. When "E" flashing bar appears, tank is approximately 1/4 full (has about 2.8 - 2.9 gallons left in it; consider 2.5 gallons to be on the safe side). This seems to compare favorably with what john1701a and others have written on this site.

2. How to plan your tank fill-ups: May I suggest the following?
    - When "E" flashing bar appears, immediately reset the Trip B odometer (so that you don't have to remember how far you've driven since that point).
    - Follow the Trip B odometer, in conjunction with your computer-displayed tank MPG rating.
    - Miles driven on Trip B & suggestions:
    Zero: Ok, whatever...
    1.0X tank MPG: Need fuel soon...
    1.5X tank MPG: Time to have a specific refueling plan!
    2.0X tank MPG: You SERIOUSLY need to work on getting fuel!
    2.5X tank MPG: IMPENDING DOOM...
    2.8X tank MPG: dead Prius
    In the future, based on my "experiment" above, I'm probably going to plan on refueling at 1.5X tank MPG after flashing "E" warning to be on the safe side. Others have suggested 50 miles past flashing "E", which is near this range. Never again will I plan on running out of fuel--the dangers are obvious.

3. It might have been nice if Toyota had designed its fuel indicator to read flashing "E" at 1/8 tank instead of 1/4 tank, but now that we know, I guess it doesn't matter as much. Perhaps they'll develop some kind of "fix" in the future.

4. There may be variations between vehicles, relative to remaining fuel capacity at flashing "E". Your vehicle may behave differently, so be conservative! (At least one other post on this site has reported running out of gas at 1.3X MPG miles past flashing "E"... I can't reconcile that with my experience.)

5. This post is NOT intended to speak to the question of overall tank capacity, the "bladder" problem, fill-up issues, and related fuel gauge issues. I'll leave that for others to dissect.

6. This post is NOT intended to encourage others to run out of fuel, either intentionally or otherwise. As others have correctly stated, this is a dangerous practice and can seriously damage your vehicle. I was worried doing this even for 30 seconds with a can of gas ready in the back!

I'd welcome others' comments, feedback, criticism & correction on this. Hopefully, it will be helpful to everyone.

1 person likes this.
  2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Eric, what an extremely helpful experiment!

If you don't mind, would you mind copying and pasting your experiement into the Knowledge Base so that we can be sure to have it for future reference?

Perhaps others with the same cojones you had can replicate the experiment in other climates and conditions to see what their outcome is, as well.

3. paulisme

paulisme New Member

Wow, very informative! Thanks for sharing :)

4. ericst

ericst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Done!

5. earthlovergrrl

earthlovergrrl New Member

Eric....thanks soooo much...I had no idea you could go that far after the flashing bar comes on, that's great! I've been filling up within 10-20 miles after it comes on, doh!

Les

6. ericst

ericst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, but still be careful. Like I said in the post, I'm still concerned that there may be variability between vehicles (and between different environmental conditions) with regard to this. Until you feel comfortable with your own vehicle's performance, if you decide to go even beyond 1X MPG past "E", you'd be well-advised to have a refueling plan. Push to 2+X MPG past "E" at your own risk...

The wisdom of this (or perhaps lack thereof) will be borne out only if others are able to corroborate/validate my experience. If people start running out of fuel at 1.5X MPG past "E," I'm going to feel really foolish! :oops:

7. cybele

cybele New Member

I'm curious, Eric, how your fillups were before (or even after) this experiment.

When you fill up, how much are you able to get into the tank?

I've never been able to put more than 7.4 gallons into my tank (usually 6 with a range of 250-275 miles).

We're all guessing that the bladder is more pliable in some cars and some people are able to get more gas in their tank and therefore have greater range. Of course besides your test to true empty, there is no way to test this easily.

My difficulty is believing that there is any more than whatever I put in the tank plus those 2-3 gallons in the reserve.

8. ericst

ericst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh dear, the bladder. :roll:

The tank fill-up is problematic. After click-off, I then have to carefully baby the pump. In this way, I usually can get in as much as 3 additional gallons. It's slow, so plan a few extra minutes at the gas station...

9. jsorger

jsorger New Member

Wow! Thanks! Even though I feel that driving a car dry isn't as bad when new (before the 'gunk' accumulates) I didn't have the guts to try it.
    Thanks for the excellent data!

10. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :pukeright: blahdder! :mrgreen:

11. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Eric: I think you should get the Prius Hero award for being willing to run out of gas in Chicago. You'd get the Prius Purple Heart for doing same in Manhattan. Your experiment is most helpful and answers a nagging question all of us have had. You gave me a good benchmark for deciding when to refuel. As a pilot, I have paranoia about fuel starvation and would probably not wait until the flashing box to put gas in. No big deal to fuel a bit more often.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers,
    Bob

12. jasond

jasond New Member

I think knowing all that, I'll be willing to drive until the "Add Fuel" light comes on, and then refill as soon as practical afterwards. Which is more than I've been doing :)

Thanks for the research!

Now can you test exactly how far you can drive before the battery depletes too? :mrgreen:

13. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

I think this really is vehicle specific. I ran out of gas yesterday (also as an experiment, though not as well planned as Eric's). The last fuel bar began flashing at 559.1 miles and I ran out of fuel at 640.7 miles. Consumption screen was reading 60.1 MPG for the tank.

So in my particular instance, here's how it worked out for me getting to the "totally dead" state:

81.6 miles on flashing status / 60.1 MPG = 1.35X MPG past flashing "E"

"Your mileage may vary...."

14. ericst

ericst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Absolutely. And this worries me, because it definitely suggests variability in the way the fuel gauge works in different vehicles. I wish it didn't have to be so confusing...

15. UltraJay

UltraJay New Member

Definately vehicle specific. My flashing started at 557 miles with a (computer) tank ave of 56.2. I do 'overfill' the tank to the brim which takes an extra 3-4 minutes.

Jay

16. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

definitely variability with the gauge. my super white is 2 weeks old. the first fill-up, immediately after the light started to flash (470miles), took 10.007 gallons!

at the time i had no knowledge of the necessary filling practices, but lucked out as the pump was one of those really slow ones - stopped filling as soon as it kicked off.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why couldn't they have made the tank itself a little bit larger to compensate for the bladder? I wonder if this might have been Toyota's biggest boo-boo. Of course there'd still be the problem of when to fill up.

Here's a speculation: that the shape of the bladder as it collapses governs exactly how much gas remains when the sensor detects that the level is low. This could easily be different for different units.

18. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I look at the whole "small bladder" thing this way: if I keep the car long enough, the Prius and I will have something in common.

19. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

The best thing to do is let Toyota know the specifics for your vehicle. Toyota has to be informed of the variability before they can begin to attack the problem.

Most all 2G owners are probably not willing to drive until they run out of gas in order to determine the fuel capacity unique to their vehicle. I'm going to pass my experience on to Toyota, but not really as a complaint because I know my mileage is much better than what others have been experiencing. Still, I think Toyota needs to know the specifics from those of us that have data surrounding an "out of fuel" experience.

20. ericst

ericst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good point. What's the best way to "let Toyota know"? Is it worth calling their "Customer Experience" 1-800 number?