1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enabling Adaptive High Beam (not automatic high beam) on USDM cars (ECU Hack)

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by zorrobyte, Apr 4, 2019.

1. zorrobyte

zorrobyte New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought a new 2019 Prime Advanced the other night. What a perfect time for the US to pass the law to allow AHS. /s

If you don't know what AHS is:

For USDM BMWs, there is an ECU hack to enable AHS: NGHB How To_F15_v2.pdf EDIT I can't post links yet, FML -- search for "enable adaptive high beam us pdf bmw"

I also just bought a Carista to hack my Prius to turn off the awful reverse beep. Sometime soon, I'll be building an Openpilot system for lane-keeping autonomy.

Our USDM Priuses with LED headlights have the hardware to enable AHS, the question is, how can we hack our ECUs to enable it?

While I'm both a Software Engineer and have an ASE cert (I've dropped engines and turned around and wrote software the evening after), I'm lost as I've never owned a modern Toyota. The only other ECU hacking experience I have so far is socking my ECU in the 1987 CRX to burn AFR maps. Arduino and Pi skills be damned.

So forgive me for some of these (likely) basic questions
    • How does one view/modify option codes in the Prius ECU?
    • Are such modifications via the CAN bus, or is some sort of JTAG to the ECU necessary?
    • Has anyone been able to change option codes/ECU code on a modern Toyota yet?
    • Any other car hackers want to team up?
    I've emailed the creator of Carista, hopefully, we can get some pairing going to help probe this hack. Please share any constructive info to help achieve this goal. I'll be reading the Car Hacker's Handbook in the meantime!

Praeluceo likes this.
  2. lllars

lllars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds awesome. But, how do you know that our cars have the requisite hardware? Do the headlights actually have arrays of LEDs and does the wiring exist that would allow the ECU to control each LED individually?

Are you also assuming that there is existing AHS software in the ECU that just needs to be enabled, or are you thinking we would have to write that software?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love matrix LED array especially for country roads or basically anywhere outside city limits where even major highways aren't lit.

4. zorrobyte

zorrobyte New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've been digging, the part numbers from what I can tell is the same. If you wanted to take a look at the EU Part numbers and see if the headlight modules are the same, it'd be useful.

I found some CAN messages that trigger when a vehicle is detected, seems to be locational data. Still waiting on my hardware to arrive to get some hands on.

5. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am eagerly following this... I gott my prime about a month ago and am eager to unlock its full potential

6. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Any update regarding enabling adaptive high beams ?

7. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    From what I can tell from an obscure post looking for a part number, there is a separate computer involved in the UK.

no proof on this, just something I read from a single person on the forums

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you look at the 3 threads o/p started, i think you'll find your answer

kevin.c likes this.