1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Encouraging News on the Prius Reliability Front

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tempus, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Second-hand autos brought good, bad news

If you're one of those used-car buffs who gawks at the new models at the auto show and thinks: "That would look good in my driveway – in 2015," then this year-end list is for you.

The 30 late-model cars and trucks reviewed by Second-hand in 2006 held surprises – some pleasant, some not so much.

We've seen well-regarded vehicles that command high resale values cause headaches for their second owners.

-------

THE GOOD

Perhaps the biggest surprise is the first-generation Toyota Prius (2001-03), which is every bit as durable as the rest of Toyota lineup – despite the NASA-grade technology on board.

Owners told us they've had no problems beyond some alignment issues (a few even had steering racks replaced).

The dreaded battery pack replacement has yet to occur in any of the 40 Priuses operated by a Victoria, B.C., taxi company, and that's with some cars racking up more than 300,000 km.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Tempus I recall you had the HV battery replaced in your Prius didn't you? and yesterday I had the radiator replaced under warranty in my Classic. Despite that I still say it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and that's about 30 in my lifetime.
    Edit: I note in the article they pictured a JDM Classic, no spoiler and RHD.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did they copy it from somewhere? I thought I've read the article before (even though it's dated as posted today).

Anyway, sounds good.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Dec 30 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]368587[/snapback]</div>
    No surprise at all to me. And I suspect it's not a surprise to any other PriusChat member either.

NASA-grade technology? Not really. Just brilliant engineering. The computers are just computers. The impressive part of the computing side is the software. And the PSD, which makes it all possible, is surprisingly simple. Frank showed us one at the alternative fuel fair in Lacey, WA. It's basically a differential, and Frank thinks it might actually be the identical part as the differential from another car. Beyond that a high-efficiency, low-torque gas engine with variable-valve timing, and a couple of electric motor-generators. And, of course, brilliant programming to make it all work.

Technologically rather simple, which is part of its strength. And with Toyota behind it, reliability should surprise nobody.

I plan on buying a new car when the next big improvement comes out. But I expect my 2004 Prius to keep running until its future owner can no longer afford to put gas in it

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    NASA-grade technology?

If it had NASA grade technology I'm sure something would have exploded by now. :eek:

6. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 30 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]368676[/snapback]</div>
    Hey are you a programmer? For what its worth, realtime computers systems are not just computers. The automotive environment is one of the worst this side of Mars, what with the vibration, heat, dirt, electric noise, berserk sensors... These babies are a marvel in themselves.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Dec 30 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]368863[/snapback]</div>
    Okay. But the computers in the Prius are surely no different than the computers in other modern cars. Certainly not more NASA-like than other cars.

My point was, the technology in the Prius is elegantly simple. It's the idea that was original, and the brilliance is in the engineering that made it work. Like I said, the PSD, which is at the center of the whole concept, is just a differential.

This is an amazing and cutting-edge car. But it's constructed of mundane technology. So many people are afraid of buying it because they think the technology is too advanced to be reliable. But, as so often happens, the public perception is miles off target, because there's really nothing new in this car except the way all the parts are connected.

The article fosters the misunderstanding by contrasting the Prius's reliability with its supposed (but non-existent) "NASA-grade technology," and expressing surprise at this.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it is really the software and quality levels of the manufacturing combined that creates the Prius we drive.

Toyota has done the best to integrate all the various components to make a no compromise driving experience. something that no one else has done as well. sure honda is close, but their car is smaller and gets less mileage.

but the software does not work if its controlling unreliable parts due to sloppy manufacturing. Toyota's reputation for quality construction goes without question. that is why, all things being equal (they are not) i will go with Toyota everytime.

saying that, i will still go with the first plug in or EV under $30,000

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 31 2006, 08:19 AM) [snapback]368932[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed, that Toyota's quality control is what makes the car so reliable. My point is that there's nothing about the technology to justify an expectation of less reliability.

I'd go well over 30K for a nice-looking, freeway-capable EV with the kind of range that present technology could provide. Hey, I'd buy a Tesla today if I could walk in somewhere and buy it.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A