1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

End of warranty inspection?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by travbug, Oct 10, 2010.

1. travbug

travbug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    My 2008 Prius is nearing the end of its warranty, and I am wondering whether I should have my Toyota dealer do a thorough inspection on the car prior to the warranty's expiry. This is the 70 or 80 point inspection that dealers do for used cars that costs around $80.

I am not having any problems with my Prius--it is performing flawlessly. I did buy it used, but its maintenance history was excellent. However, I am wondering whether it is worth spending the $80 to diagnose and prevent possible future problems.

What do you all think? Is this a worthwhile expenditure, or would I just be wasting my money?

Thanks in advance!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, I suppose this depends upon what is found. If no problems are found you may decide the expenditure was a waste of money.

If for example, the tech finds that you need new shocks & struts (which would cost $2K+ at the dealer if you are funding the replacements) then you'll probably say that the inspection was well worth the expenditure.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's not worth it.

Consider the dealer's self interest here. Margin on warranty repairs is very low. Unless your check engine light is on, there is a 99% chance that they will not find anything wrong that would be covered by warranty. More likely, they will find a number of suggested maintenance items that are NOT covered. "Your engine runs a little rough, so you should consider our $150 fuel injector cleaning service." Basically, if you are willing to spend $80 to have your car checked, they will figure you are willing to spend hundreds more on unnecessary services.

If you haven't had a transaxle fluid change, shop around for the best price. Otherwise, aside from HID lights, you should have little or no problems over the next 100,000 miles.

4. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i did this, they say they found nothing, of course.
    i even mentioned clunking in front suspension when low speed turning.
    they said clunking was from "stones in tires"
    they removed the stones 29.99!!!
    total bs
    basically they wont do a pre warranty expiration inspection.
    my benz dealer DEMANDED i bring the car in just before 50k miles
    they did a good 4 k in warranty repairs:) and not BS either, changed spark plugs, multiple sensors, brake lines, suspensio bushings struts. etc
    not the same at toyota.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    AND the shocks aren't covered. They are a wear item.
    I only go to the dealer if the money in my pockets is wearing me down and I want it removed!