1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy drinks: Are they bad for my heart?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by FloridaWen, Nov 2, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Energy drinks, which contain large amounts of caffeine, could be harmful to your health.
    From MayoClinic.com

Q: Are energy drinks bad for my heart?

John / New York

They could be. Many energy drinks are loaded with caffeine, sugar and herbal stimulants that can make you alert, but can also make your heart beat markedly faster, putting you at risk of health problems.

Caffeine, the main ingredient in energy drinks, isn't directly toxic to the heart. But if you have almost any type of underlying heart disease, even a small amount of caffeine can stimulate the heart and cause problems. Caffeine can increase your blood pressure, and sometimes impair blood flow to your heart. It may trigger abnormal heart rhythms, which can be life-threatening in people at high risk.

One problem with energy drinks is that they have become popular as mixers for alcoholic beverages, often in an effort to counteract drowsiness so that you can drink more alcohol. The combination of large amounts of caffeine and alcohol is especially dangerous, since alcohol by itself is known to trigger fast heart rhythms. To avoid this serious health risk — even if you don't have heart disease — you shouldn't combine alcohol with energy drinks.

Another problem is that energy drinks are often consumed quickly, sometimes before exercise. The high amounts of caffeine and sugar can lead to a variety of symptoms, including irritability, nervousness and nausea, sometimes severe enough to require hospitalization.

For athletic activity, it's healthier to drink noncaffeinated, low-sugar beverages to prevent dehydration. If you decide to consume an energy drink, read the label and research how much caffeine it contains. If you have heart disease, be cautious about energy drinks and talk to your doctor for individual recommendations.

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    But, as with anything else, taken in moderation it isnt all that bad. Some reports have shown caffeine to be beneficial to the body. My mother had heart disease, drank several cups of coffee every day as well as consuming many eggs and lived to 92yo. There are way too many other factors that need to be considered before cutting out the joe. Why does a man who smokes camel unfiltered cigs live well into his 90's, when someone who only smokes a light cig die from cancer in his 40's or 50's..Its all in the genes.
    Interesting post, I think i'm getting chest pains now..lol..

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If excercise raises my heart rate and caffeine raises my heart rate can I drink 3 cups of coffee and skip the morning run? Hey I can have a scotch and Red Bull as well to boost it further!

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    An 8-ounce Red Bull isn't any more (or less) harmful by itself than, say, a mug of coffee. What I don't understand are these 16, 20, and even 24-ounce cans I've seen. Do they have less caffeine ounce-for-ounce than their 8-ounce brethren? Then what's the point? Or do they have the same and you're getting a double or triple dose? Ah, American excess.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 2 2007, 07:32 AM) [snapback]533885[/snapback]</div>
    A triple dose sounds more to me like American Express!