1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy Dump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gallde, Jul 29, 2004.

1. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any thoughts on how the Prius decelerates normally when the batteries are already fully-charged? What happens to the energy generated as it places the intentional drag on the drivetrain? Or, does it not even supply drag and "glides" instead? I wonder if that's why the battery compartment has a cooling system: maybe it just keeps dumping energy there.

2. mshappe

mshappe New Member

(Not sure why this is in Audio & Electronics...)

Keep in mind that the battery meter on the MFD represents a relatively narrow window on the range the battery pack can be charged. The top of the meter represents about 80% of the HV pack's actual capacity; the bottom about 40%.

Why? Because the HSD is designed to try to keep the pack in roughly that range, to extend the pack's longevity. Full charges, and deep discharges, actually have a more detrimental effect on the battery's life cycle than just keeping the charge level somewhere in the middle.

So, when your meter appears to be 'topping out', you're not actually fully charged, physically; and when the meter 'bottoms out', you actually have a fair amount of slack.

The upshot is, in normal usage, it's actually going to be a pretty rare case that you're ever going to truly top out your battery!

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I frequently drive down a long hill in which all the bars turn green way before reaching the end of the hill. The meter indicates that the battery is fully charged but continues to charge it. When reaching the bottom of the hill I can drive for a longer time before losing the first bar than I do when all bars turn green in another shorter hill.

Thus, mshappe is right. After al the bars turn green the battery is not yet fully charged.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    moving to an appropriate forum

Response:
    When the battery gets near full--all green bars--one of two things usually happens.

1)If you're stopped the ICE will cycle off and on several times in a row. MG1 uses guite a bit of electrical power to turn the ICE over and it uses that to drain the battery slightly to make room for more charge.

2)If you are actually on the move--ie coasting down a hill, the ICE will spin up and race...it's a bit frightening and sound like something's wrong, but there isn't, it's just a mechanism to prevent over chargeing.

Sort of a 3rd thing is that the fuller the battery is charged the more the hybrid system will utilize battery power, the lower it is the more it will use ICE power--particularly in flat/cruising conditions.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Evan: I see all green bars two or three times a day, on the move and stopped at a light. I have not yet noticed the behaviors listed in 1 and 2.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All green bars meaning all available slots filled? Remember, the bars turn green when the second from the top bar is reached, but you won't see the energy 'burn off' at that state, only when the battery shows all the bars to the top of the digital battery. Even then, it won't 'always' do that, but if a certain SOC threshold is reached, it will.

BTW, if you're seeing that condition several times a day you can probably alter your driving pattern a bit at the places where you routinely see that state and improve your mileage. Basicly, you want to encourage EV mode more in the mile or so prior to the places where you see all the green bars.

7. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Thanks for the explanation Evan! I thought that the engine turning was some kind of rare bug, but now it makes sense. I've experienced it a few times (very hill area). A full green battery wasn't uncommon in my semester.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

furthur to Evan's #2, the engine runs at a faster speed to bring the MG1 speed down to a point were it's almost stopped and that decreases the output to the inverter/battery.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    according to the tech specs a the battery indicator range is 70%-30%. so when the indicator says the battery is fully charged, it actually can take another 30%.

this is done because overcharging and undercharging the battery will greatly reduce the battery life. keeping the SOC in this range is the reason why this battery pack will last nearly 3 times longer than an average car battery.

iow, it aint the battery, its the computer controlling the charging circuit to the battery that is responsible for its long life. if the battery pack was treated like battery packs in laptops, etc. its life would be just as short as the laptop.

if you feel that you might be overcharging your batteries, turn on the headlights, crank the stereo, blast the air. it will all help burn off the charge. but unless the hill is huge, i wouldnt worry about it. the car's computer is set to guard against overcharge conditions.

10. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, efusco

I have noticed behaviors 1 and 2, after coasting down a long hill to my house following a flat, slow driving segment. I come to a light, and the ICE starts and stops several times briefly. I thought the current sensor was flaky, but I guess it's just trying to use up the extra power generated on the hill. Now if it had an auxiliary flywheel storage unit...

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Thanks, efusco

You, my friend, are a perfect candidate for an EV button!! You could use it on that flat slow segment. That energy dump is just that, wasted energy. You should also try to master feathering the pedal to encourage EV only driving along that segment so that you're actually draining the battery and not having the ICE charge further with it's 'excess' energy. I think you'll notice a small but noticable improvement in fuel economy if you can master that little trick.

12. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave, don't the a/c, stereo, headlights, etc., run off the 12v system?
    how do they draw power from the 200v+ battery?

it struck me that if the battery got too charged on a L O N G downhill stretch, say, from Donner's Pass to near Reno, couldn't MG1 and MG2 "buck" each other to consume energy, and perhaps pass that heat on to the radiator in front of the engine? i've wondered where heat from MG1 goes during a high-speed cruise. (or is it MG2... i keep forgetting)

:)

ps. 47 mpg and round trip from Cupertino to Mendocino, plus some sightseeing there, ON ONE TANK! woweewoweewow! and handling on route 128 was super! loving this car more and more each day!

13. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Aux battery charging

A/C runs on the HV battery, other accessories on auxiliary 12v power. But as long as the power is in the "IG-ON" mode, the HV battery "charges" the aux battery through the step-down inverter, keeping the aux voltage at 13.8 volts, so you won't run the aux battery down. Clever system!

14. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Question for Evan on EV-button mod

I read it is as simple as momentarily grounding H14-27. Do you know where I can pick off the status of EV mode to operate an LED?

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Question for Evan on EV-button mod

That is exactly what it is. But, unfortunately I don't know how you can get it to operate an LED. I suggest you post the question under another thread (mods probably). Someone like Brosnan might be able to help you out there as I lack the technical expertise to do so. Also, I and others would like to know the answer as it would be handy to have a little reminder LED to let you know when you're in EV or not.

16. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I experienced behavior 1 for the first time this morning. After going down a long hill and stopping at a red light, the ICE began turning on and off; it had done it three times before the light turned green. Thanks for pointing this out, Evan; I would have otherwise been afraid that something had gone very wrong.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome...now you can start thinking even further into this and try to figure out how to prevent that energy dump by minimizing regen or maximizing EV/stealth driving before that area where you're seeing the full SOC. No need to waste energy if it can be prevented.

18. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Sometimes, it is almost impossible to prevent without major route changes. Here is my typical scenario that results in a 'full green':

1) Climb a 4% grade for 2 miles to a 1/3mile tunnel with a 2% dowgrade.

2) After the tunnel, coast down the freeway (at up to 70mph) 5% grade for 1.5 miles.

3) Brake to a stop on a long, almost level offramp to a traffic signal.

4) Coast down a 6 or 7% grade for 3 blocks.

At the end of this, I am almost always 'greened up'. If I lived in this neighborhood (the Rockridge district of Oakland, CA), that would be the normal final condition of the car when returning from work.

I actually proceed a few more miles to my home. I operate in stealth a good part of the distance, although one of my typical erands sends me up a 10 to 12% grade, giving the ICE a bit of a workout.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Certainly there will be times...I don't mean to imply one is doing something wrong if they're topping off at green routinely. Rather, I suggest that if you find you're doing it routinely then perhaps you should look for means to avoid that where possible. That much of a descent for the entire route would certainly cause difficulties. Still, that 70mph stretch provides a good opportunity to practice the feathering technique and gliding rather than using the ICE which will, almost certainly in those conditions, have excess power it sends to the battery.

Also, that long off ramp if you can glide as you approach that and slow while gliding to avoid regen there you'll maximize energy saved as well.

Given all that, it still may be impossible and I don't want to imply you're a bad hybrid driver if you can't achieve that, but I certainly would use the commonality of that route to really try to maximize efficiency.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its situations like that where a larger power storage would come in handy.

the full charge indicator for the battery actually only represents a rather small range of charge. it is this range where the optimum life is achieved.

i think it would be nicer to have a battery pack that could say do 5-10 miles safely without the ICE. it could be used for short trips in town (these kill my mileage rating as i am positive i can exceed the EPA if not for these types of unavoidable trips and as the cold weather approaches i know my mileage will suffer even more)