1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy Monitor

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by CoolPriusXLE, Aug 30, 2023.

1. CoolPriusXLE

CoolPriusXLE Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    In the menu there is the Energy Monitor who is a graphic showing the bars of the battery. Most of the time I see half the bars, around four, charged and the other half "empty". Is this the norm? Would expect more bars showing a greater charge at various times especially when first starting to drive the Prius Hybrid.

2. racer01

racer01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Totally normal and I'd imagine staying around half charged is desirable from an engineering perspective.

If you live on the top of a huge hill/mountain you want battery room available to capture regenerative braking energy right off the bat. If the battery is full you can't capture that energy.

Also a half charged battery is more efficient in taking a charge than a nearly full battery.

keeping a battery in the middle of the charge (not completely full or empty) is the best for battery life when not in use.

I have found that even with "half a charge" the car will run in full EV mode for quite some time, even at highway speeds on flat or slightly down hill stretches.

There are situations where you can see it almost tops out on charge, particularly when using regen braking a lot in city type conditions but I have never seen all the battery charge lights light up indicating "full" charge, probably for the reasons above and more that I am not aware of.

CoolPriusXLE, leftbrarian and Preebee like this.