1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy monitor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kayemarschke2, Jun 5, 2007.

1. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

Well I got a scare the other day. Normally the battery stripes are blue.....right? Well mine got down to one line and was purple. Has anyone else had this problem.Freaked me out!!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not a "Problem", it's a feature. You were probably in slow moving traffic and your car continued to run without unnecessarily using the ICE. The ICE will come on to charge the battery when necessary.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kayemarschke2 @ Jun 5 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]456121[/snapback]</div>
    You wouldn't believe how many hundreds of other posts we've seen over the years that were identical to yours.

It's a new owner ritual... which seems to have an "enlightenment" effect on many. Awareness of the system is heightened afterward. So there's a worthwhile benefit of just allowing the "freak out" to happen.

Though, I have requested suggestions about how to emphasize that information. It's clearly illustrated in both the USER-GUIDE and INFO-SHEET. But my guess is that people just don't understand the importance of what they are being shown until afterward. 1 bar is not empty. 8 bars is not full.

How can we better point out that it is just a relative measure, showing only the normal operating range rather than the entire capacity of the battery-pack?

4. marshallc

marshallc New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The bar graph for the battery was only blue until I had some work done on it by the dealer. Now I'm getting blue, green and pink colors on the bar graph. Any idea what the colors mean?

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The colors are eye candy redundant with the number of bars. There are options for the display color scheme. I haven't played with it, but perhaps one of those options keeps all bars the same color regardless of their number, and the recent service changed the option.

6. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even at purple, the battery still has 40% of charge, and that's as low as it will go.