1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy Politics at My Local Level

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SageBrush, Aug 28, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I live in the southwestern US, where electricity made from coal is supplied by our utility PNM. For a couple of years now, PNM has heavily subsidized home solar production, to the tune of 15 cents/kwh initially, and now 11 cents/kwh.

This month PNM finished its negotiations with the regulators, and came out with a new pricing scheme. I took some time to translate the pricing tiers and fees into an average cost/kwh for varying consumption levels, and found these results:

[​IMG]

Surprised me, for sure. While high consumers are progressively charged higher prices/kwh, our local 40 - 60 percentiles see about the same bill or *less*, and energy frugal consumers like me pay more. I think this graph makes it apparent that the PV subsidy is most beneficial to high consumers, and that coal energy use reductions from anything other than PV is not in general for most consumers encouraged through the pricing scheme.

Just another case of distorted market economy through unequal and unfair subsidy. I am not anti-PV by any means, although it is brain deal public policy to subsidize PV over cheaper alternatives like solar thermal and simple conservation.

Attached Files:

• PNM.png
      PNM.png
      File size:
      33.3 KB
      Views:
  2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder what the subsidy is for coal? :rolleyes:

Does part of the high per unit cost for very low consumption include any sort of 'standby' charge? I know for our local natural gas, as an example, there are several fixed charges that apply even if consumption is zero.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly. Even my electric has a charge everyday, even if I use 0 watts, I would still get a bill. My average cost per kwh would be infinity.

And this is sort of like driving an extra 10 miles to gain 1mpg on the display. Lower average fuel usage per mile, higher absolute fuel usage.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While it may seem counter-intuitive, especially from the consumer's point of view, there is some logic to that. There's a fixed cost incurred in making the electricity available for use, whether or not you actually use any. At least, that's how I rationalise it.

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed. That's why I pay it every month :)

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Indeed, the high unit cost for low consumption is due to fixed costs. That does not negate the skewed public policy though. I cannot see a public advantage to subsidizing say a 200 kwh drop in use in a energy guzzling household but not subsidizing the same 200 kwh drop in use in an energy frugal household.

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well judging from the curvature of the graphs, it looks like the fixed costs increased as well. Do you have a graph of the old dynamic prices vs the new dynamic prices with old fixed costs for both and/or the old dynamic prices vs the new dynamic prices with new fixed costs?

That might make it easier for others not knowing the historical fixed charges in your area to see what you are seeing.

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Federal coal subsidies - SourceWatch

It costs money to have availability, but various state and local regulations decide how this is allocated and charged.

9. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My utility, SDG&E has a $0.17 / day minimum charge - about $5/month.

Rates vary depending on how much you use from $0.14 / kWh to $0.31 / kWh. So if you use less than 37 kWh / month, your rates start going up. That's about 1/10th
    the average household usage around here.

Here's what a typical rate charge would look like based on usage:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Given that your peak rates are the same as our base rates - I would not complain. :p

I would happily pay more to source all of my electricity from renewables - as it is, my PV system offsets about 90% of my annual household usage.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I may not have been clear in the graph I put in the OP, the average cents/kwh is calculated as total-bill-cost/kwh-consumed excluding tax. So the nominal kwh tier charges, connection fees, and assorted fees are included.

This price policy affects me negatively by decreasing my return for installing solar hot water. Since when I drop consumption from my current 400 - 500 kwh/month amount to about 150-250 kwh/month, this new pricing scheme will increase my residual consumption cost/kwh by about 15% compared to the old pricing scheme.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see why you should care about what solar hot water does to average cost/kwh. That is like complaining about Prius MPG falling when one's commute distance is cut in half, even though the total fuel bill is being cut substantially.

More important is what is does to your total cost. How much will solar hot water push down your total electric bill under both the old and new rate plans?

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A better analogy you might relate to would be a hybrid tax to cover some of the shortfall in tax revenue from lesser fuel consumption.

13. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's called your automobile registration fee.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this rate structure apply to all residential customers, or just the low-usage customers? In the former case, the analogy fails.

Again, how much savings will the solar water heater produce on both old and new rate plans? For these sorts of comparisons, I understand marginal rate charts better than average price curves.

Your electric rate structure is nowhere near as bad as my water rate structure, where about 85% of my bill is the fixed cost of having the connection, without consuming a drop. Even though my house uses barely half the water of an average residence, the (rare for my community) residential fire sprinklers force a larger meter at double the monthly price. The theory is that I'm being charged for capacity availability. Ignored is the actual difference in fire flow demand: 1500 gpm from the hydrants for neighboring non-sprinklered houses, 1540 gpm for my house for the hydrants and sprinklers combined, less than 3% extra. In reality, my house should draw much less due to friction losses in the very long hose path to the nearest hydrant.

This fire sprinkler penalty was minimal when the house was built, but was drastically raised about a decade later. The neighboring water district went the opposite direction, reducing its 'sprinkler penalty' to under $1 per month.