1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy saving blackle, whats your opinion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kdailey356, Oct 1, 2007.

1. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone mentioned that this only makes a significant difference on CRTs, not LCD monitors. Also, if they really wanted to make a difference they'd just do this with the main Google page.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As Evan says, the back lighting on an LCD is on, even when displaying a black screen. If you want to save power, have your monitor (and the rest of the system, for that matter) go to sleep.

Tom

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Better still, disconnect it.

5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 2 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]520309[/snapback]</div>
    OTOH, it might make the LEDs or TFTs or LCDs whatever the display uses, last longer.

6. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Oct 12 2007, 08:04 AM) [snapback]524540[/snapback]</div>
    I might be mistaken on this, but I thought that LCD screens used power to create black (or rather to remove variable amounts of illuminated color from) pixels.

I thought that there was a polarized light source (florescent?) behind the display and then color filters in front of the light source. Then pixels of cholesterol were placed in front of the color filters with electrodes to each pixel.

The electrodes are positioned such that when power is passed to the cholesterol it polarizes perpendicular to the polarized light source. The more power sent to the pixel, the more the light source is blocked.

If that is true, then a white page would save more power on an LCD, while a black page might save more power on a CRT.