1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy Screen Arrows

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmccord, Mar 11, 2007.

1. jmccord

jmccord New Member

Well after 16,000 miles on the Prius, I'm starting to lose faith in the arrows on the Energy Screen.
    Is it just me, or does the ICE sometimes run with no indication arrows? I have a 2006, and I'm accustomed to seeing orange colored arrows showing power from the engine to wheels and/or battery, but sometimes even with no arrows, I'd swear the ICE is running.
    Curious to know the internal algorithm, or the experience of other users with the energy screen.
    Is it really an accurate representation of what's going on? :huh:

Oops.
    Guess this question was already addressed here:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=30256

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. If the engine isn't powering the wheels, it won't show.

3. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have the same 'problem' with my 06. I wish the display would actually show realtime status as to ICE running or shut down. It took me a few weeks to realize the ICE runs with no indication.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    But when the ICE is running with no indication on the Energy screen, it's probably just running to heat the coolant or catalytic converter, not contributing to charge of the HV battery or motive power. It's mostly regen that gets the HV battery into the green, the battery ECU likes to maintain a 60% charge. The programming for the ICE is low emissions first.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bill is right on the money, as usual. What would help people is having an ICE ON indicator on the display, instead of just an energy flow indication.

Tom

6. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been migrating away from the energy monitor screen in my daily driving actually... I find that it's usually too much information, and I wouldn't want to know too much about the state of the engine.

As I've gotten to know fairly well how to get into "glide," the only other important thing for me to see is the instantaneous MPG readout, which is easier to be aware of with the bar in the consumption screen. I don't even have to look directly at it because I can see that big yellow bar from the corner of my eye.

If you really, really want to know that stuff though, there's always CAN-view!

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Mar 26 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]412274[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe also a parenthetical stating, 'but even so ... the ice is still spinning' :p