1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy vs. Comsumption screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by laundryczar, Feb 28, 2006.

1. laundryczar

laundryczar New Member

Good Morning All:
    I am the stupidly proud owner of a shiney new 06 Prius, (Pkg 7). 3 days new and still clean from the dealer.
    Anyway, I have no concerns but a simple question instead that I can't seem to find in that confounding manual.
    The default screen as you drive is the Consumption screen with the Energy screen accesible by a button. Can that be reversed so the Energy screen is the default?
    If the answer to this is in the book, I hang my head in shame, but if it isn't and it is possible, pleae let me know. Thank you in advance.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless it's changed for the '06 the MFD will come up on the same screen you were on when you shut down.

3. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also, if you push the "Info" button on the steering wheel, the display will toggle back and forth between Energy and Consumption. Which isn't what you asked, but it's fun to do, especially for the first few weeks. :)

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And then there is this! Thanks to Efusco:
    The Four Stages of Prius Enlightenment
    (author’s note: This is a rewrite of the original published over a year ago that was lost during the PriusChat server crash. There may be some differences. If anyone has a copy of the original I’d love to have it to publish it as well.)

Stage I: Awe and Fascination
    The Multi-display screen (MFD) is left on the Energy screen the majority of the time as the driver and passengers watch with fascination as the colorful arrows shift and switch from Engine (ICE) to wheels and ICE to battery and wheels to battery. This is a time of trying to comprehend the general idea of how the car is working at different times. Some attention is paid to overall MPG by switching to the Consumption screen from time to time, but for the most part the 5-minute graph is hard to put into perspective. This phase lasts from weeks to a few months.

Stage II: Growth and Progress
    The driver now tends to focus on the Consumption screen in an effort to improve each of the individual 5 minute bars on the graph as part of an effort to improve overall MPG. Fine adjustments are made in driving technique such as rate of acceleration, top speed, using cruise control and adjusting to traffic and lights. Occasionally switching over to the Energy screen may occur as he/she tries to understand what might be going on in a particular situation or to show that screen to a new rider, but the focus here is clearly on the Consumption screen and efforts to improve mileage. This phase lasts months to about a year.

Stage III: Fine Tuning
    Once consistency is obtained with the Consumption screen phase and the driver’s MPG has seemed to stabilize for familiar routes there is a tendency to want to begin to ‘push the envelope’ to really maximize the fuel economy. To this end he/she needs to switch to the Energy screen once again. This time, however, it is used not to understand, but rather to fine tune and control the system to attain maximum efficiency. Techniques such as Pulse and Glide will require the Energy screen to assure they are in a ‘no arrows’ glide. Acceleration in the ‘dead-band’ (arrows from ICE to wheels only—none to or from the HV battery) for maximal efficiency likewise necessitate the Energy screen. Those not as dedicated or concerned about the fuel economy may find that they begin to use alternate screens such as the Audio screen or the MAP screen checking the Consumption screen occasionally and Energy screen rarely. Most drivers who are dedicated to constantly obtaining maximum possible fuel efficiency will remain on the Energy screen for years or even for the remainder of the time they own the car, switching to the Consumption screen only to check the tank MPG average and total miles on the tank then immediately returning to the Energy screen.

Stage IV: Prius Nirvana
    Most people will never attain Prius Nirvana. This is the stage where the driver has almost become one with the vehicle. He/she is so aware of the car’s operation that he/she can tell when he/she’s in the dead-band or gliding without looking at the Energy screen. Indeed he/she will enter those conditions often without conscious effort as they’ve become second nature. Maximal MPG is still achieved but almost without effort. This is not the same as the person in Stage III who no longer cares about MPG, this person cares greatly, but no longer has to put significant effort in to their driving to achieve it. He or she will use various screens on the MFD as needed, or may even turn it off completely. There is no longer a need to look at the Energy screen at all and they look at the Consumption screen only to note overall MPG and total tank miles. This stage is lifetime.

5. laundryczar

laundryczar New Member

Golly.
    Because the milk of human kindness flows through my like a mighty river, I will assume that response was intended for humor and not to be the hugely patronizing response it appears to be at first blush.

To the more helpful, I guess they did change it because now every time you start out it defaults to the consumption screen regardless of what it was showing when powered off. Yes, I know I can flip it about from the steering wheel, but I thought if there was a quick fix to make the energy screen the default it might be worth trying. Thats it.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this issue. I just thought someone might have an easy answer. Thank you.

6. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You could do worse than "listen" to what hdrygas has to say. These are the words of an experienced and helpful person who gives a lot of time and energy to those who are new to the Prius. What I understand him to say is that this is a complicated beast which we have chosen to live with and when we learn it we will know it. Until then there are no "easy fixes".

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just adding a bit about how you might want to choose what screen to watch. It is a process. As far as I know efusco is correct to you back to where you were when you turned off the car. Did not mean to overwelm you.

8. laundryczar

laundryczar New Member

Good Evening:
    I did "listen" and the article Hdrygas quoted was, to my mind patronizing. However, I never meant to suggest that Hdrygas or Dr. Fusco weren't helpful to new owners or that their time and effort were unappreciated. Thank you for reminding me to respect my elders.
    Still, at least on my Prius, the screen always goes back to consumption regardless of where you leave it. I'll say it again: I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I just thought that with the overwhelming experience of the readers of this forum, if there was a way to set the default to energy, somebody here would know of it.
    And, lest anyone think I don't appreciate any thoughts anyone has on the subject, I thank you all in advance for your time and effort and I freely and happily admit to being a very new Prius owner and I welcome any well intentioned advice regarding the use of, care and maintainence of, and enjoyment of my shiney new Prius.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I'm wondering if this is one of those quirks that can be toggled with the THHT I'll wait till more 06 owners respond if it's user changeable or if it's only dealer changeable.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just curious how you'd find that patronizing...it's an observation...may not fit everyone 100%, but most will acknowledge similar experiences. I can assure you that no one intended that in any kind of patronizing way, just an effort to be helpful and to provoke though.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmm. You guys seem to have forgotten Stage V where you realize that gasoline isn't needed. I've taken the libery of adding that to the list on my Prius pages. :)

Oops. sorry - back to the topic.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good point. I am not sure if the 06 works differently from my 04 . Toyota makes changes and does not consult me. Can you believe that!! When I leave my car on one screen, that is where it is when I turn it on. I would like to hear from 06 owners on this subject. Just trying to learn about this car, and keep up with Toyota.

13. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    laundryczar,

I have driven both the 05 and 06 and it was changed exactly as you describe. I don't care for it either, but I'm also not worrying about it. It is a minor annoyance, though.

John

14. RunninDover

RunninDover New Member

I'm a new '06 owner, as well. I'll confirm, but I think laundryczar is correct. It doesn't matter which screen I was last viewing, I get same screen on start-up.

on patronizing....i just don't see it. Rather, beyond the tongue-in-cheek, I see small nuggets of truth in those stages. I imagine the one or two stage V guys that may exist are bald with bulging bellies, who can sit cross-legged while they drive.

15. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< WOW... some folks sure have thin skins... perhaps akin to "having a chip on one's shoulder." *SIGH* I continue to be grateful for all the helpful information and hints I've received on PriusChat during the 1½ years of my Prius ownership.

After becoming more accustomed to "Ernestine" (named after Lili Tomlin's telephone operator character due to the NAV lady's sometimes strange responses to verbal requests), I find I only use the Energy Screen for passengers unfamiliar with the Prius and toggle between MAP and CONSUMPTION in regular use.

16. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I can see how he could take it that instead of getting his question answered, he got told that he likes to watch with fascination the colorful arrows.

I know it wasn't meant that way, but it's not like it tells you how to move from one stage to the next. I'm sure if he's reading here, he's already picked up great tips and is doing his best to put them into practice. Hardly "Gee, those arrows are colorful" stuff.

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

18. laundryczar

laundryczar New Member

Good Evening:
    On the subject of the Prius: Not having the same screen at startup that you left at shutdown is a minor inconvenience and I am happy to live with it. I just thought that I would ask the question of the more experienced owners who regularly log in here. Nothing serious. If there was an answer:great. If there wasn't, great also. It was also a way of getting to know the forum and the people in case I had a real problem. Someday I might even be able to return the favor.
    Yes, it would be interesting to hear what other '06 owners had to say. I think it would be interesting to know why it was changed. Was it a required change due to a software conflict? Was it changed because an overwhelming number of people complained about it not returning automatically to the consumption screen? Was a software engineer bored and wondering if anyone would notice?

On the subject of my response to the quoted stages article: Jeneric hit the nail on the head. While I was looking for an answer to an unimportant problem, I expected either serious answers or at least humorous ones that didn't impy new owners were like simple children, fascinated by the pretty colors and the wheels that go 'round and 'round. Wheeee! Having heard from Dr. Fusco directly, before the quote and then again later, I am convinced that he never intended it the way it came across to me. That is why I said I assumed otherwise. Still, I did mention my concern because being new here, I couldn't be 100% sure I wasn't being slammed and I thought I should say something, if not defend myself directly.
    What is the lesson I will take from this? In a written forum tone and intent can not be taken for granted. Words can't begin to replace intonation, gesture and expression.

Now, I will take my licks for whatever I am guilty of and I will do whatever penance is required. I would like to drop this conversation. I think it is safe to say we are all bored with it. Lets move back to our beloved Priuses (Priusi?) I am extending a hand in truce and friendship to all. This round is on me.

19. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Welcome to PriusChat!

20. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think I will remain in Stage I for many many months. I'm obsessed with seeing my instantaneous mpg readout on the Energy Screen. I like to watch the colorful arrows and enjoy the moments when there are no arrows at all and would like to learn to become a better Prius driver so I can see it happen more often. I flip to the Consumption Screen to see how my 5-minute mileages are on my various trips, and see what my average mpg is, but see no reason (presently) to keep that screen up at all times. :) :D