1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EnerMotion Turning Prius into Solar Assisted Plug-In

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by ScubaGypsy, Apr 27, 2009.

1. ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy Live Free & Leave No Footprint

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From Enermotion Turns Your Prius Into a Solar Powered Plug-in Hybrid : TreeHugger,
    "Jack MacDonnell takes your Prius and covers the roof with photovoltaics and adds a back-up battery supply which provides additional electric charge to the vehicle’s electric motor when the factory battery pack's State of Charge (SOC) drops below a pre-determined charge rate. This supplemental battery pack thereby extends the driving range of the vehicle while the factory battery pack recharges itself on-board.

When he is not doing conversions, Jack is working on his Automotive X prize entry, the XP100. Without giving away our strategy, our engineering plan is to optmize some existing technology while integrating a number of innovations we are developing to achieve the objectives of the competition."

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting that they did this conversion on a 1G Prius. But they're bragging about getting 100mpg (on a 4km run!)...please, that's really nothing. Show me the benefit over a tank of normal driving.

I'm yet to be convinced of a significant benefit from roof mounted solar panels.

1 person likes this.
  3. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. When they can double the range of a Prius by using this kit then I'll be convinced. We'll be nice and allow for an average journey of between 20 and 30 miles. ;)

Interesting conversion though, even if the roof still looks a bit weird.

N

1 person likes this.
  4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i would love roof top solar panels... mainly to charge up a larger 12v (i don't use my stock battery) so i could power odds and ends through my inverter by sun power.

i've found that my car gets better mpg with a charged 12v battery.. as i tend to have it more drained these days, my mpg drops due to charging. (which is why i have a larger battery)

5. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for this post. I read the article and watched the video. I guess I missed where they said how much this system would cost. Did they say that anywhere? This sounds like it is very new and hasn't been tested very much. If it becomes cost effective I would consider something like this. I just wouldn't want to be a beta tester. :unsure:

1 person likes this.
  6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A