1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Air Filter Life

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by stevelawsn, Mar 16, 2016.

1. stevelawsn

stevelawsn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2012 that is nearing 50k miles. The engine air filter still looks like it just came out of the box. No bugs, leaves, etc. at all. I cannot tell where the air enters the intake ahead of the air filter and I was wondering if there is a screen that might keep larger pieces from entering the air intake. It just does not seem like an air filter should be this clean after nearly 4 years of driving. The cabin air filter receives much more debris and needs to be changed annually. Anybody have a similar experience? Thanks.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If all else fails, use the recommendations from the folks who designed and built the car.
    IIRC, Toyota says that you should replace the air filter every 30K.
    I replace mine every 12K, but I also replace my oil more frequently than my OEM recommends.

I cannot imagine that Alabama is dust and pollen free, and your filter is well beyond its expected normal service life.....even if it "looks new."
    I'd change it immediately, and then every 30K at least.

Good Luck!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine have always been clean as well. i can still see light through my 4 year old with 40,000 miles. can't even shake any dust out of it. i never change them.
    cabin filter hets a bit dirtier, but still lasts a long time.
    no idea on pre filter for air cleaner.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm a few km's short of 60,000, have yet to change either. The engine air filter looks really clean still. I can just discern a little darkness, hints at where the air is coming from, but really minor. The cabin filter has gotten a little grungy, but I just blew it out with air.

It could be our area, we have a protracted rainy season, keeps the dust down?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only reason i changed the cabin filter at 30,000 was that i use the carbon/charcoal and figured it might be spent. no way of really knowing though.

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can "tell where the air enters the intake ahead of the air filter" by following the intake plumbing to its open end near the back of the right headlight. Evidently that's a good location, as far as being relatively dirt-free.

There's no reason to replace an air filter element that isn't in danger of leaking unfiltered air, and isn't clogged enough to reduce engine power significantly. In fact, it catches fine particles better than when new.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the thing. In the past with carbureted engines, a dirty air filter caused the air/fuel mixture to get progressively richer. Not so with computerized fuel injection.

8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are two main reasons to replace your air filter.

Dirt and moisture leading to deterioration of the media.

If you live someplace without a lot of dust or pollen, your filter can stay clean much longer than the recommended change interval.

If you live someplace dry, your filter won't deteriorate as much as it would in a damp/wet place.

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They can last quite a while - I usually replace mine every 50k. At least in my area, the filter is still very clean after 30k. As long as the gasket remains in good shape, you are good to go.

quantumy likes this.