1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Air filter size, why do much larger in Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Andrew Swace, Jun 15, 2023.

1. Andrew Swace

Andrew Swace New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed the size of the engine air filter in the Gen 4 prius is at least 2x as big, maybe even closer to 3x as big as the filter in the Corolla hybrid, which has the exact same engine. Anyone know why the discrepancy? I thought everything about the 2zr-fxe engine was carried over.

The filter size in the Corolla is actually really small and in the prius its huge for such a weak engine.

EDIT - I might be mistaking the gen 3 air filter. Ether way, at one point the air filter size got reduced by at least half and I find that odd.

#1 Andrew Swace, Jun 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My gen 3 is about 6” square. Seems properly sized.
    How big is Corolla?

3. Andrew Swace

Andrew Swace New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #3 Andrew Swace, Jul 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You won't get the full story until you disassemble both filters and lay them out to measure the total square footage of filtration media.

From an engineering standpoint, you usually want the largest one that will possibly fit in order to reduce pumping losses. If the underhood space just doesn't allow it, they have to compromise.

5. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The air filter in the 20 Prime is the smallest one I ever had in a car. It’s still far bigger than the throttle body opening. It’s not cheaper from Toyota though. Walmart sells the Fram Ultra but it’s still an expensive size.