1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine air filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GeorgeMW, Jun 7, 2023.

1. GeorgeMW

GeorgeMW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I own a gen 2 Prius, and I have a couple questions.
    1) If the engine air filter is out of order, would that have any impact on MPG?
    2) I live in a city that has levels of air pollution likely 10% higher than normal due to building projects that are not being performed in compliance with standards. In these circumstances, how many miles to go before changing the engine air filter?
    I must say that the engine itself functions well. I thought low MPG would be the fault of spark plugs, but that does not seem to be the case.
    Thank you in advance for your attention.

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding air pollution, it depends what you mean. Most of the gas pollutants (NOx, CO, Ozone) will pass right through the filter. Some of the more reactive ones might chemically interact with it, but not in a way which is going to change its function measurably. On the other hand, if there is a lot of soot, dust, or even pollen in the air that will clog up the filter in short order. The worst of all worlds is embers, as when driving near a big fire. Embers can and do light the paper air filters on fire. This happens pretty frequently to the cops who have to go up and down the streets ordering people to evacuate as a fire closes in.

Occasionally filters will clog up with leaves. This doesn't happen very often though. It needs some condition to put a lot of leaves up in the air while the car is driving through them. If it does occur that is one of the few instances where blowing out the filter and putting it back in might be warranted.

Anyway, instead of worrying about it, just put in a new air filter. They are pretty cheap. Compare the old one to the new one at the swap and you can see how dirty it is, which generally, but not always, indicates how clogged up it is.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are a lot of things that can affect mpg’s on a Prius.
    Tell us more about your car and its history

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Air filters are cheap. If it bothers you then just replace it. But it would have to be really dirty before it affected mpg's.

Lots of things can affect mileage. Restricted exhaust, tire pressures, wheel alignment, HV battery condition, etc.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Once a year take it out and hold up to a light. If there is crud in the crevices replace it.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Poor mileage in an old G2 is usually because the hybrid battery is on its last legs. You have to really give it the gas to get anywhere because the hybrid battery is not providing any power. Start watching the battery meter on the mfd.

If the battery tanks to no blue bars or a purple bar its battery time. Its just the age. At 2007 its long overdue.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve read a partially clogged air filter will improve mpg; it reduces air flow, the cars computers accordingly reduce fuel injected. You’ve essentially downsized the engine. Acceleration suffers a little.