1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine and tranny just dropped? HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by StangBanger, Jan 15, 2010.

1. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Engine and tranny just dropped?

2008 toyota prius about 14,500 miles. This is my wifes daily driver...driven about 20 miles a day 5 days a week. Today she was driving back from work on a straight,flat well paved road and she says she heard a pop and couldnt accelerate anymore. I came to check it out and immediately noticed the drivers side CV axle hanging down and it seemed like the tranny and engine were sitting too low. I opened the hood and seen that indeed the engine had sunken into the engine bay. Crazy thing was.. even with the key out and the car off it would still move forward at about 1 MPH..That was weird. Anyone know where i can find some diagrams of any crossmembers that go underneath the engine and tranny? I wanna see what holds the engine and transmission in place because i believe whatever that is..Snapped, cracked or fractured.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds terrible. Whatever happened, your car needs more help than any of us can give you from here. Is it still on the side of the road?

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unless this is a salvage car, you should get it towed to a dealer; should be a warranty fix unless it is the result of a collision with something - in that case it should be an insurance claim.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [​IMG]

5. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check your Rendler spindle. They had problems with them that year.

6. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hyo silver
    No. Gieco towed it to my local dealer.

dogfriend
    It is a salvage car, but still took it to the dealer. Might as well finally find out if it is worth fixing. I was told this morning that the motor mounts were installed poorly so they failed dropping the engine and causeing the tranny to drop a little also. Gonna be an expensive fix im sure.

dogfriend
    Thanks again..thats exactly what i was looking for.

mike lipke
    Rendler spindle? Where does that go? Little more info on it please..

7. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you go to where you bought it and see if they can give you some $ back for a poor mount install?

8. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I highly doubt it..But its worth a try..I will call them on Monday.

9. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did a search on it on PriusChat but only two threads showed up..this thread and one about driving in snow which said something about it allowing you to pass better. Im assuming it has something to do with the engine torque. Google wasnt much help either.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think this is Mike's way of trying to be funny.

Sorry to hear about your car's problem. Please post a photo of the failed mounts.

I can think of three mounts: one on the passenger side for the engine, one on the driver's side (but the inverter has to be removed for access) and one under the car that positions the transaxle.