1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine block heater....cold engine :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Palmetto, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Palmetto

Palmetto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay online community, I need your help on an easy one (I hope).

I installed an engine block heater on my '08 Prius. It plugs into an electrical timer, which plugs into the wall. The timer requires batteries and has an LCD display.

Here's the rub....the darn thing doesn't work in the cold! The LCD display screen on the timer is blank when the temp. goes below freezing. So, no warm engine :(. It works great 3 seasons/year.

I'm really hoping someone can recommend a timer that works in any temperature. Please be specific so I can find your recommendation.

I'm bummed the engine block heater is not usable because I can't find a timer.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you tried replacing the timer's batteries to see if that will help?

If not, I recommend you go with a timer that is mechanical and simple, such as:http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B00002N5FJ?tag=priuschatcom-20
    I used two of these timers for Christmas season outdoor lighting at my south Orange County home, and they worked well over the 9 years we lived there (plus a few years of use by the original owner, since the timers were included with the home sale.)

3. Palmetto

Palmetto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Patrick,

After looking at the timers on Amazon.com from your link, I believe I am using an indoor timer in my garage. I think that is the basis of the problem.

I will find an appropriate outdoor timer. Thanks-