1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Block heater on a '06

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Rangerdavid, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    so my EBH seems to have stopped working. I've tried different plugs, drop cords, etc. but it definately seems to be the EBH unit itself.

Any suggestions from anyone as to what I could check, do, or look at to try and see if this problem is solvable?

also, has anyone (Wayne) ever removed an EBH and plugged in another one?

thanks in advance,

:D
    RD

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    David,
    Most commonly the problem is a short in the cord just behind the reinforced area. If you want you can cut off the end of the current cord about 2-3" behind the reinforced area and splice in a new plug. That would be the cheapest and easiest fix.

Otherwise, replacement of the entire assembly will be necessary. The orange connector to the heater core itself is usually dried out and will crumble when you try to remove it, but getting the core out is quite easy and you just need to stick in a new core and run the new cord just like the first.

I've repaired cords about 3 times and replaced the entire unit once. Neither option is difficult. In either case, when you get the cord fixed/replaced I strongly suggest buying an 8" extension cord to leave connected to the end of the OEM cord. Then if it gets worn/shorted you just replace the extension cord, and not have damage to the OEM cord. You can find those at Wal-mart or a computer shop.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you just want to see me again Dave? Evan is right, it probably is the cord just behind the strain relief, a known defe......problem with these cord sets. They do not sell cords separately so you would have to buy a new EBH kit to get an OE cord. Or as Evan says you could splice in a new cord head after the break. Changing the cord set is just like a new install, not very hard. Getting that little heater out may take some effort if necessary, but it is usually fine.

Wayne

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    thanks guys!! I think I'll give it a shot before the weather gets too cold here. Wayne, I'll send you a PM if I get stuck!!

RD