1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Block Heater Question...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by vinnysca, Sep 26, 2007.

1. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Hi all,

The engine block heater that I ordered from Sigma will FINALLY be delivered tomorrow! Wow! It's been months since I placed my order for it.

Anyway, here's my question to those of you who have it already:

IS IT SAFE TO HAVE IT PLUGGED IN FOR A LONG TIME?

I will be moving to New Hampshire this December and I plan to ship my MATILDA over to my new house and leave it in the garage for about a week or more. So, I plan to have the EBH plugged in during this time while I'm packing the rest of our stuff in Ohio.

Any input is appreciated!

Vince.

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Sep 26 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]518015[/snapback]</div>
    It should be safe, but why? I suspect you'd pay a lot more for a week's worth of electricity than what you'd gain in fuel savings for that first startup, even if you hop in it right away with no pre-warm time. If you don't need to drive it immediately, it takes only ~3 hours plug-in time to reach maximum temp.

3. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Sep 26 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]518040[/snapback]</div>

Thanks! I guess I was just being OVERLY cautious thinking about the engine FREEZING in cold temperatures. But, then again I shouldn't be worried. It's not like I'm moving to Alaska or the Antarctic. :lol:

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Sep 26 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]518045[/snapback]</div>
    Vinny, you don't need the EBH to have the car start EASILY and run well IMMEDIATELY because it already does that even at -20F. The EBH will improve your first 5 minute MPG since the engine takes about that long (longer when it is really cold) to get to peak operating temp. To help it get warm faster and stay warm look for the threads related to blocking the radiator or grille openings. If the cold air doesn't enter the engine compartment, it can't steal the engine heat :)

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Short answer, it's OK to do. Long answer see JimboK's post.

Wayne

6. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For New England you'll be fine. Its only really in the Northern tip of Maine where folks have to plug in their cars regularly to avoid starting problems. The Ocean temp moderates the weather enough that its not _that_ cold generally speaking. Now Minnesota, thats another story ;)

That said, you might want to have your Prius winterized before you send it. Make sure they know its going North, they may want to go with the Canadian blend of water to antifreeze (I seem to remember its different) or a different oil viscosity (probably not necessary).

rob

7. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob Smith @ Sep 26 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]518175[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the advice guys! I feel much better. I will also post a question about winterizing in the New Hampshire locan community thread.

Vince.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob Smith @ Sep 26 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]518175[/snapback]</div>
    Not necessary. Stock car, 5W30 oil just like is says on the oil filler cap will start JUST FINE in any temp he'll see in New Hampshire.

The people who need block heaters to start their cars are those WITHOUT a Prius. You know, the big engine, wimpy little starter motor and 12V battery set up. The Prius ICE is started by a BIG electric motor backed by a BIG 200 Volt battery. This came to me one day 2 years ago at -20F when I took a friend to pick up his car. While I waited, he cranked and cranked, it faltered and spit and died, he did it again, it started and ran rough for a couple of minutes. At that moment I had a revelation "Hey, my Prius started this morning just like it does every other day!" Battery Cold Cranking Amps is a useless number in a Prius.

9. TSaxman28

TSaxman28 Wandering Minstrel

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Sep 26 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]518015[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto to everyone's comments. I live in Southern NH and even in December it's not usually that cold, especially in the garage where it might get down in the 40s. Unless you're moving to the summit of Mt. Washington I wouldn't worry too much.

10. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Thanks for all your input guys!

I installed my EBH this evening and I can surely attest that it wasn't THAT easy. I struggled with hooking up the power cable connector to it. But, I figured out how to properly orient the heater so that I could then insert the power connector to it.

Vince.

11. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Sep 27 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]518753[/snapback]</div>
    You didn't save it for me :( .

Wayne