1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Block Heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by chiprius, Apr 8, 2006.

1. chiprius

chiprius New Member

I know that there has been some talk about adding an engine block heater, but I have a different idea about this.

First how much energy does an engine block heater really use when you plug it in overnight?

If it is not very much why is there not an internal mechanism that uses the battery to keep the engine warm when it is cold. The car already has a thermostat so it know how cold it is out side. Why can't the car keep its engine and fluids warm so that when ever you want to drive it is ready to go. Wouldn't this make shorter trips be more effecient?

I think that this option might have been overlooked.

What does anyone else think?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Start with THIS THREAD
    It will answer most or all of your questions.

Most of us do not leave the EBH plugged in "over night"..we have it on a timer that comes on 2-3 hours before our expected time of departure. This uses around 1300 Watts (for 3 hours) of power...at a very small monetary cost.

The energy from the grid is cheaper than energy from gas...which is where all the energy in your battery comes from. It's also, usually, cleaner than the energy from gas.

Finally, when the car is powered off the HV battery is completely electrically disconnected from the rest of the car to preserve as much power as possible. Imagine if you left your car parked for a week or two, that EBH would completely drain the HV battery without some sort of battery regulation system...now things are getting much more complicated and expensive.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to create a better system, but the current way it works is probably best for most people who actually NEED an EBH. Many of us don't actually 'need' it, per se, but use it to improve our FE.