1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine block heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rookie101, Mar 18, 2008.

1. rookie101

rookie101 average member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    what kind of mpg gain can i expect with a engine block heater assuming 20 to 40 degree temps. i get between 47 and 54mpg in the winter now.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends upon how cold it gets, if you can plug in at both ends of your commute, how long your commute is and the road conditions of your commute.

I estimate at least 3-5 mpg improvement thanks to the EBH, but it varies.

3. ph43drus

ph43drus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It also depends on the length of your commute.

I installed one late this winter/early this spring. All winter in the 20-30F range, I'd get 20-25 mpg for the first two 5 minute bars on the MFD. After that, I'd usually get a 40 mpg bar, and then settle in at around 50 mpg for the rest of each trip.

After installing the heater, I started getting a 40 mpg bar, followed by steady 50 mpg bars. So for me, the difference was 15-20 mpg during the first 10 minutes of each commute.

So: if you have a 10 minute commute, the change will be HUGE. If you have a longer commute, only the first 10 minutes will improve and they're a smaller part of your overall driving, so the overall improvement will be less.

My commute is about 35 minutes one way, so the improvement covered about 1/3 of my morning commute (no plug in the lot at work, so no help on the reverse leg). Looking at my mileage log, it looks like I got an overall improvement of about 5-6 mpg after installing the block heater.

4. poffy74

poffy74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I get no discernible benefit from it, other than to say I'm in the club and I seemed to install it quicker than most.

However, don't be discouraged by my gain of 1 or 2 mpg if that in the morning. The beginning of my commute when this would come into play is all uphill. So my issue isn't that the engine isn't warm enough it that the ICE has to work the whole time going up the hill.

As everything on commutes is cyclical, I benefit greatly on the way home from this stretch of hill getting a nice 75-100 mpg bar consistently with 2 to 3 cars.

So, if the beginning of your commute is like mine, it may not be worth it.

steve in grafton Ma
    08 Mag Grey

5. kayak_hauler

kayak_hauler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been looking at an EBH and have a question. How much juice do these pull? I'm wondering if one couldn't be designed to run off the traction B instead of being plugged in.... How long does it take to heat up the engine with one?
    On another note, is it true that the whole issue w/ not going to stage 3/4 is that the catylitic converter needs to be heated up? If this is really the case, why isn't there a thermocouple and heating blanket on the cat. conv.?? Seems like it would be easier to heat, and you wouldn't have to run the whole engine....

6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The benefits of the EBH lies primarly in one place: Allowing you the possibility of reaching stage 4 before you exit your neighborhood...

For me, I get screwed on my way home from work, as I'm stuck on the highway, usually in that 25mph zone where I can't turn off the ICE... (needs to get an EV button)

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The block heater is a 400 W device. Kind of wimpy compared to others.

I have one and don't get any benefit from it. I don't bother to plug it in, as I can't predict when I'll be driving. ;)

And just a comment that made me chuckle, when I purchased Pearl new last May. I asked the salesman if it had a block heater. "Of course!" was his reply. Alberta, Canada!

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    400 W.

My data indicates:
    hh:mm - % - dT
    0:30 - 49% - 17C
    1:00 - 67% - 23C
    2:00 - 84% - 29C
    3:00 - 91% - 32C
    . . .
    8:00 - 99% - 35C

The converter is at several hundred degrees and in some conditions, glow a dull red. We're talkin' some serious heat.

Bob Wilson

ps. Here is some operational data taken on a 0C (freezing) morning:
    [​IMG]
    The upper, dark blue line is the engine coolant temperature and you'll notice that once it starts, the coolant from other parts of the engine cause the temperature to dip down a bit and it soon recovers. The interesting line is the orange one at the bottom, the air flow (aka., gas burning.) As the coolant temperature rises the amount of gas burns falls off until about 70C on the coolant line. Thereafter, the engine can auto-stop and save a bunch of fuel . . . we're in "hybrid mode."

The "MG2 rpm" line is directly proportional to the vehicle speed. So while the engine is warming up, I'll get up to neighborhood speeds, ~25 mph, and slip the car into "N" for the most fuel efficient idle. But once the car is in "hybrid mode", other than coasting to a stop light, I pretty much hold constant speeds. That flat plateau between seconds 900 and 1,200 is at 55 mph.

9. eurosteve

eurosteve Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Like Poffy74, the first 4 miles of my 24 mile commute is a pretty steep uphill grade. So I plan to install the EBH to get the engine up to temperature fast in order to minimize engine wear when it's 10 degrees F outside and I have to drive almost immediately on a long steep uphill grade.

I think this is a good reason to install the EBH. Am I wrong?

10. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, thats a good enough reason.

11. p&g

p&g New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    bwilson, About putting it in N when you're idling. Isn't that less efficient since you can't charge the battery in N? Since the ICE is firing to warm itself up while coasting and stopped, you're "co-generating" electrical power and using the waste heat to warm the engine, converter, etc. Taking electrical + heat together that has to be very efficient as your losses are mainly friction and electrical losses.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The problem is when the engine is cold, the engine is terribly inefficient with any sort of load. Putting it in "N" during warmup, minimizes the inefficient fuel burn.
    It has to do with the engine management systems. If you'll look on the earlier chart between seconds 0 and 720, you'll notice that the lower orange markers continue to decrease as the engine warms up. This is the warm-up inefficiency that we want to minimize.

Bob Wilson