1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Break in - when is it considered actually broken in?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by s1njin, Jan 7, 2011.

1. s1njin

s1njin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Gang,

I'm wondering what you guys considered broken-in (from a mileage perspective assuming moderate motivation) on the Gen III engine? I know its a differant design then the Gen II - would 1k be considered broken in? Is 1k sorta halfway there?

I'm wondering because I'm interested on the effect (if any) on my fuel economy once the motor is considered broken in.

:)

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I personally noticed that my car appeared broken in about 2,000 miles but it was probably between about 5,000 and 10,000 miles before I'd have said it was nicely bedded in and I was getting max mpg's.

Guess everyones driving style is different but if you take it easy for about 2,000 miles you should be OK.

1 person likes this.
  3. s1njin

s1njin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the response. I definitely take it easy (I only put it in the power band in normal mode when going uphill or merging). I generally try to keep it in the eco band, preferably battery/glide as much as possible. I wonder sometimes if I'm not working it hard enough to break it in actually.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You don't need to work at breaking it in. These are modern engines, and they come from the factory with parts that fit pretty well. It's not like the old days where the moving parts machined themselves into shape and left a bunch of metal in the oil.

Obviously rings need to seat, and a few other minor things, but other than that don't worry about it. Avoid driving like a race car driver for the first 400 miles: no jackrabbit starts, and avoid panic braking. That's all there is too it.

Grumpy's comment about 2,000 miles has to do with when the car runs at its most efficient level. Tires wear in, bearings smooth out, all of the engine parts are happy with each other, plus you learn how to drive a Prius in that time. The 2,000 mile figure isn't a period for you to baby the car, it's just a good estimate of how long it takes to see the best mileage.

Tom

2 people like this.
  5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since your question relates to being "broken in" related to fuel consumption (and not from a mechanical perspective--the owners manual discusses that), my guess would be anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000 miles would do it.

Plus the driver needs to be "broken in" regarding driving style. I know personally it took a while to get used to the fact that you're not going to jump off the line like a jack rabbit, and to not try to push the car to do something it wasn't optimized for.

6. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree, modern engines which now come from the factory with synthetic oil are different. Their manufacturing tolerances and materials are also much improved.

I remember the break-in procedures for older BMW's, they were very specific and were supposed to be strictly adhered to. 500 mile oil change, 1500 mile oil change (with other stuff), no more than 3500 rpm for the 1st 1500 miles, vary rpm a lot, etc.

The older engines required a lot of "bedding" of the friction parts and produced a lot of metal in the oil during the process.

7. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is good to know esp. because my Prius came to me with 169 mi on the odo, having been driven across the state from another dealer to get to my local dealer, and who knows what driving monkey they got to deliver it and how that person drove it.

8. jrb451

jrb451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're a first time Prius owner, like me, it's probably you that need breaking in more than the car. I've got 5K on mine and am now pretty comfortable driving it.

9. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    What break-in? Like qbee2 says, modern engineering is so advance and precise, engine does not require break-in period anymore. The only break-in you'd need is your driving habits. You'd need to re-adjust the driving habits in order to reap the best fuel savings out of the Prius.

10. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let's assume this is true (which I believe to be true, but I'm an idiot). There was another recent thread which talked about some cars having "break in fluid" with the oil, such that you wouldn't want to change your oil too early to allow these fluids to do their things. These 2 concepts don't quite work well with each other.

Also, I'm sure you shouldn't max out the engine too soon. Right? So maybe there is a short break in period, but more like the initial time when you should gradually increase speed, acceleration, etc. rather than just floor it (save that for your street race with the new Porsche your neighbor just bought).

Mike

11. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as we know, Toyota doesn't use any special break-in oil (i.e. no extra additives), though Honda does apparently. The manual does indeed state to take it easy in the beginning...it's just advice to ensure you get a typically long life out of your Toyota.

12. laplante236

laplante236 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think one of the most important statements in your post is where you say "plus you learn how to drive a Prius in that time..." Because it took me almost a year to get used to it after having a couple Avalons. (i now have 3,075 miles on it). The Prius is certainly not an Avalon, but I've come to depend onand trust Toyota quality. Some of the things I did not think thru was the idea of replacing the traction battery after 8 years, and getting used to a whole new driving concept/experience. The Pruis is quite radical in many ways compared to a regular ICE car. I find it fun to drive, economical, noisy, and some rattles - and much bullying from other drivers who like to get right in your face with their huge grilles. You have to drive extra defensively. Thanks.

13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    See page 151 of the US-Canada users manual.
    No sudden stops for the first 200 miles.
    Don't drive at extremely high speed or constant speed for extended periods & avoid sudden acceleration for the first 600 miles (1200miles in the UK manual ??)