1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine breakin and EV usage

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by NHCLCR, Apr 7, 2016.

1. NHCLCR

NHCLCR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On my 2010 Prius, the car seemed to take about 10,000 miles or so to break in, when looking at the MPG. The engine was being used every time I drove the car.

With the Prime (or PiP), what is the recommended amount of ICE usage to get it broken in in a good amount of time?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the manual calls for 500 or 1000 miles of calm hv driving on pip 1, same as lift back. interesting you note 10,000 miles, never heard anyone mention it takes that long.

3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I recall 10,000 miles being mentioned, but I do not recall it was mentioned in a "break-in" context. At least not like in the 50's when the break-in was an important process. My recollection is that it was often said that it required 10,000 miles before the full fuel efficiency of the hybrid system would be realized .... which I suppose is another way of describing a "break-in."

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ten thousand still sounds high for that, but I think the real break in involves the driver learning the quirks and controls of a new car.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There are two "breakin" meanings. The first is breakin until it is safe to use high power generation (so you don't overheat the parts wearing in) - that's 500 to 1000 miles. The second is breakin to where the engine and other systems are fully functional at optimal efficiency - that's the 10,000 miles one.

Now, if you happen to drive in a cycle that doesn't require use of the engine, then neither breakin event will occur. ;)
    In other words, it's 500-1000 miles of -engine use-, and 10,000 miles of -engine use-.

Which tells me -some- people may never reach full breakin. Unless they go on long highway trips. ;)

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It has never taken me 10 thousand miles to reach best fuel economy.

Now, tires' rolling resistance improves as they wear. For EPA testing, the tires can't have more than 4000 miles on them. So fuel economy numbers can improve as the tire wears down, but it isn't because of break in.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny, i have had 3 new prius, and never felt like mpg's or anything else changed from day one until the day i sold them or now with my pip.
    i know others have had different experiences, but it's impossible to explain.
    i figure toyota want s the engine and brakes to undergo some kind of low stress in the first few miles, so they mention it in the owners manual.
    but i have never seen anything mentioned about not expecting your car to perform perfectly in the first 10,000 miles.

drash likes this.
  8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto

iPad ? HD