1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine change help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Rexter, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rexter

Rexter New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a line on a really cheap 06 model with a bad hybrid unit. The owner says he can't afford to fix it. I also happen to have a turbo-charged suzuki hayabusa motor that needs a home. Has anyone got any experience in changing motors? I'm thinking for around-town, I can knock back 65mpg and still turn high 12s at the strip:rockon:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't thought this plan through very far, have you?
    How do you think changing the ICE out will help fix the "hybrid unit" (whatever that is supposed to be). How do you think you'll go about programming the HVECU for a completely different motor? What makes you think you'll get better fuel economy with a turbo charged Otto cycle ICE than with the atkinson cycle ICE currently in the car? How do you propose to tie the new ICE into MG1 and the PSD?

3. Rexter

Rexter New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    true....i have been looking for a smart car, but can't justify the price on one. this is second hand info on the prius. i can pull the body and custom-make a rolling chassis for it. it would be awesome to pull up to alight next to a mustang, camaro, blah, blah, blah, and smoke 'em.:D

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you say so...

5. Rexter

Rexter New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the best thing is that it would offset the dodge that i run now.... 450 hp cummins, good for 13s in the 1/4

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Be sure to take photos, I'm sure it will probably bolt straight in. :madgrin:

7. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My first reaction was that if you could pull it off (using a rolling shell Prius), you would still have the problem of the car still being FWD. Ever driven a SRT4 Caliber? Torque steer FTL dude. If I were you, I would try to get my hands on an old 2001 Honda Insight - they're much lighter and maybe slightly more aerodynamic.

Good luck.

You realize you're saying that you basically run with soccer moms in their Toyota Camry SEs?

2009 Toyota Camry SE 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.