1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine compartment wear is unplugged or should be like this with all the Prius???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jack Oniell, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Jack Oniell

Jack Oniell New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all, recently after an oil change from Toyota dealership, I notice a wire is unplugged behind the passenger’s side headlight! The headlight, the signal light and the high beam, everything works fine.

Is this wire supposed to be open for all 3rd Gen Prius? Please see pictures below. If yes, what is the purpose for this wire? Where does this connect too?

I don’t want to take the car to the same Toyota dealership, their services war horrible. All the oils were not topped off. I had to come back and show the manager that the brake fluid were low. He apologized and fixed the issue.Thank you.

Year: 2011
    Miles: 49882
    Average MPG: 52-58

Please see pictures below.Thank you.
    photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, that connector is normally unplugged. No idea what it's for though.

Jack Oniell likes this.
  3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just checked my car and I have the same plug unplugged.

Fingered from my phone using Taptalk version 9 Beta

Jack Oniell likes this.
  4. Jack Oniell

Jack Oniell New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank God, I was worried for a second. Thank you.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My 2012 Prius"v" level 2 has the same connector without anything connected to it.

These "orphaned" connectors as in many cars with one basic wiring harness that is installed for all model levels.

It is basically an unused circuit that may be used for an accessory for a higher level model. If the particular accessory is installed in a car and this connector is used, there might be another connector that is "orphaned," since the lower level accessory is not needed.

If the same wiring harness is used for models for multiple markets, the connector might be for a required part used to regulations in one country but not in another.

This happens all the time.

Jack Oniell likes this.
  6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Makes sense. It's unplugged in my and Peter's Fives with ATP so it's either for a lower trim (One, Two?) or simply country-specific if unplugged in all U.S.-based trims.

Jack Oniell likes this.
  7. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The connector on my 2011 Prius Three is connected to a loop-back plug.
    The loop-back is part of the RS3200 Plus theft deterrent system that was installed (the car had it when I bought it).
    The connector would otherwise connect to a hood switch included with the TVIP4 Remote Starter kit.
    Can someone with the optional Toyota remote start on their Prius take a look?

Jack Oniell and 32kcolors like this.
  8. Gregg Symington

Gregg Symington Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Brake fluid is only to be added if there is a leak in the system. Brake fluid being low can be an indicator that your pads may need to be replaced.

If fluid is added to the reservoir you will end up with a huge mess of fluid under the hood and under the car when the caliper pistons are pushed to replace the pads and/or rotors.

peterjmc and Jack Oniell like this.
  9. Jack Oniell

Jack Oniell New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you Gregg, I just learned something new today.

I haven’t changed my brake pad since the purchase. Do you know how long 2011 G3 Prius brake pads last? Thank you.

10. Gregg Symington

Gregg Symington Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

There is no "standard" amount of time or mileage, it's based on how you drive. As a mechanic, I go by amount of friction material remaining. I replace at ~0.120" (~3mm) or when the warning tab comes in contact with the rotor (makes that annoying screeching noise).

From what I understand, our Prius brakes last longer than a normal due to most of the braking is done with regenerative braking. I have not done brakes yet, my 2012 only has 6000 miles.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are Gen II owners with over 200K miles who still have their original brakes.

12. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I think I might fall in that category with getting 200k on factory brakes because my mileage is 75% highway... lol