1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine constantly running... Check engine light on..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bshef, Jul 12, 2013.

1. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check motor light came on...... Now at every light I stop at.... The engine won't kick off.... Keeps running...
    Oil-check
    Coolant - check
    Gascap-check
    Anywhere in Orange county we have trusted repair/diagnostics?
    Thanks

SCH-I605 ? 2

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had good service experiences at Toyota of Rancho Santa Margarita when I lived in south OC.

bshef likes this.
  3. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks Patrick....
    I have some feelers out here around Huntington Beach! I have not had any good warm-fuzzy experience at our local Toyota dealer here...(or most any dealer repair shop for that matter....)
    I'm at 93k miles....2005......have replaced the 12v once.

From my reading/understanding.....check engine lights usually refer to something related to emissions system like O2 sensors....however I can't understand why this would prevent the engine from cycling off at stops....as it's designed to do.

Things I've noticed with my car lately just driving around the past year or so..(leading up to this)....
    -a dry-sump sound can be heard at times intermittently while sitting at lights coming from the drivers-side engine compartment area.
    -Pinging upon acceleration when I have 4 adults (added weight) riding in the car with me.

All fluid levels check out good, I've changed the plugs once few years back...the inverter coolant changed.
    If I get this figured out I'll follow up with a post.
    Thanks

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you checked the voltage the 12V is putting out after sitting over night. If not showing 12v or better it may be time for a new one. H

bshef likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would avoid the Irvine Toyota service dept as I had a couple of experiences where the service writer tried to sell unneeded and expensive repairs (such as replacing the engine coolant pump.) Haven't tried Tustin Toyota for service.

bshef likes this.
  6. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone from OC Prius Club just chimed in that Costa Mesa's, So Coast Toyota on Harbor is decent and also Carson which is a bit further out of the area....!

@ Harold:
    I don't have a volt meter....hmmm...maybe I could swing by a local gas station with a garage and have them check it out....does it have to be after sitting all night or just anytime?

Thanks

7. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HV battery is probably giving up the ghost...

bshef likes this.
  8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Hi bschef. Does it only keep the engine running if you try to glide from under 43 MPH, or does it do it from any speed?

bshef likes this.
  9. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    well lucky me....a new (free) hv battery if that's the case!

10. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmmmm....
    only driven 2x since this started and here's the rundown.
    Started up vehicle and my habit is to let the engine cycle off before I drive away......however, it won't shut off now...no matter how long I wait.
    I do drive pretty slow light to light and my drive to work this morning (roughly 15 miles about 6 of those miles being freeway)....the engine remained on the entire way. Even when I parked here at work....I left it run for about 4 min and it stayed on.....
    Thanks for the questions.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok I see. I was thinking it might be a sensor problem. When you're warmed up and then stop from low speed and it does the 10 second idle thingy (stage 4), it actually doing a calibration/sanity_check on sensors related to the fuel air mixture.

If it won't even cut out when cold (stage 1) then it might be a temperature sensor problem. I think the end of stage1 is purely based on temperature readings.

bshef likes this.
  12. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why do you let it warm up? Sounds like a waste of gas to me, it'll be fine if you just start and go, just go easy on it for the first few minutes. The motors pick up the slack while the engine is warming up.
    You need to wait overnight to check the 12v battery because lead acid batteries have a residual charge after charging them. Even a nearly dead battery will show good voltage for a few minutes after taking it off a charger. You can get a cheap multimeter for about $10-20 at Walmart or a hardware store.
    How hot is it where you live? It could be your HV battery getting too hot.
    I would hook up a scanner and see if there are any codes. Parts stores like Autozone will usually check them for free.

bshef likes this.
  13. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks Vskid.....
    Hot...yes...it's been hot but interestingly...it's cooled the past couple days after about 2 weeks of being REALLY hot plus we were on a long road trip through all that heat without incident....!
    Now, all of a sudden in less heat...check engine light comes on.
    I'll go buy/borrow a multimeter and check the battery tomorrow morning.

14. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After work and now seems back to normal operating function with engine turning off after warmup and while sitting at lights.
    Check engine light still on....

SCH-I605 ? 2

15. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    12v checked out good this morning.

SCH-I605 ? 2

16. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    P0505......just had friend pull the code.

SCH-I605 ? 2

17. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    P0505... there was just recently another post with that code. It means that the throttle plate positioner servo is sticking or has deviated from its learned position at idle. Try cleaning the throttle body to see if it is just a gunk build up issue. There are good shots part way down this page:
    100K maint - 2
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/tb/

uart and bshef like this.