1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine continues idle after start up, engine revs but minimal car response to move

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AvTech72, Jan 4, 2021.

1. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    08' gen 2 with 150k+ miles, originally problem was engine shuddering/sputtering during acceleration, now I could barely reverse out of the parking spot. Response is even less and could not pull any fault codes..
    Most likely to check ignition coils and plugs for oil or water leakage? That's what I gathered from all my reading so far..
    Or could it be a super long overdue transaxle oil change that was never done in the 140k miles before I owned the car..

Thanks for the help guys,you guys are amazing!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You didn't mention how long the "original problem" lasted until the current state of "now I could barely reverse out of the parking spot".

Check the dealer service history by entering the VIN at : Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

With no prior history and given the above mileage, just assume that all items need servicing that haven't already been taken care of.

If you have to press the throttle to the floor and nothing is happening, then you should have warning lights on the dash. Are there?

Not all OBD2 code scanners are compatible. Grab a 'mini-vci' cable and a copy of techstream, dealer technician software used to service/test/diagnose, then scan/retrieve the stored OBD2 codes (DTCs) and post them here for additional guidance.

If you've replaced the 12v, or needed a jump start recently, then clean the MAF. Vodka or rubbing alcohol should be fine in a pinch.

Beyond that, just the usual air/fuel/compression/spark.

Pull the spark plugs and look for wear and water/oil/fuel fouling, both on the compression side and on the exterior threads.

Is there any sign of carbon tracking on the plugs/COPS?

Has is rained recently?

JC91006 likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the engine on when you reverse? You have fuel in the car right?

4. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Will pull the plugs today and clean the MAF sensor as well, and update the status.
    Original problem was about 3 or 4 days ago when I was driving off, the accelerator seems to have kept being pulled out as I was trying to floor it. The car just kept shuddering along sometimes a bit longer, but you felt the car was really hesitating.
    Will look into the VIN history.
    Also I read a bit about the OBD dongles and it seemed the BAFX and torque pro app setup seemed the best for that level of inquisition. It was my first step before going for the mini vci and tech stream if needed.

5. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes the engine was on, actually it never even turned off this time. Usually if I turn on the car and let it sit,turns on quiet.. a few moments later engine comes on,warms up, and then the engine turns back off maybe a min later.
    This time after starting engine turns on, but stays on for minutes,maybe even hours if I let it..
    And yes,just poured a full tank of gas a couple days back

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It seems you may have a HV battery issue or a transaxle issue, both will be expensive to fix. But it's best to get the codes on the car, don't want to scare yourself with online inquiries/guesses, you should just get to the codes and know for sure.

7. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yea today different result,
    POA1D,
    Left the engine idling and I believe all the current got drawn out while I was opening her up to check spark plug well and coils. And the engine finally stopped,left the radiator fan on and when I got into the car the fan for hv behind the rear seat is functioning at full capacity with motor off,seems like it's not being recharged.
    Yup feels like a dead main battery Image.jpeg

8. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    At initial startup again I got all these codes, then calmed down and only got P3190 and P0A1D.
    Where is there a good reference to lookup these codes? Screenshot_20210105-095803_Torque%20(Lite).jpeg Screenshot_20210105-095822_Torque%20(Lite).jpeg

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    davecook89t, AvTech72 and SFO like this.
  10. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Many thanks, I saw something about the code P3190 and engine cooling, so I will change the water belt as edthefox had also recommended for my car at this age 08' with 150k+. Also just replaced the spark plugs,cleaned the MAF sensor, will clean throttle body as there is a bit of discoloration on it and oil sitting in the bottom. Will update on how shes running after View attachment 203537 Picture_20215205115245.jpeg

11. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Looks like oil all over the threads on the compression side but electrodes look ok imo
    No carbon tracking as I can tell from googles images
    What is this COPS? maybe coil over plug?
    MAF was cleaned even though no jump or replacement of 12v was induced.
    Replaced all spark plugs, and throttle body was cleaned for precaution.

Attached Files:

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plugs look healthy from this angle, but hard to tell without a close up image. How is it running now?