1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine coolant leaking

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ilya980, Mar 30, 2024.

1. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I have a 2013 Prius C. My engine coolant is leaking. I lose about a quart in 1 week in expansion tank. There is always a puddle on the bottom plastic cover. Today I hooked up a pressure tester. It drops from 20 psi to 15 psi in about 3 minutes. I don't see the leak, but the puddle forms around black round bottom support on the passenger side. See photos. The foam radiator support seen through the hole is also soaked. The puddle starts to form about 1-2 min after pressure is set, so it probably comes from the top coil (engine, not the inverter). The inverter reservoir stays at the same level.

It looks like I need to replace the radiator. What do I need to remove to get the radiator out? Are there videos or pictures for Prius C radiator removal? They would really help. There are posts on this forum saying that bumper removal is not necessary. Is it necessary to drain the engine coolant, or just draining both radiators is sufficient?

Thanks a lot.

20240330_154211.jpg 20240330_154158.jpg

2. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Removing the radiator is not too hard, here is a video on how to do it

Yes it is better to remove the radiator, not worth it risking the leak to get worse when you are on a long drive.

ilya980 likes this.
  3. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks a lot! This is very helpful.

Sonic_TH likes this.
  4. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle: