1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine died on highway

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rbc07, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rbc07

rbc07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Traveling 75 mph down the highway in an 07 Prius with ~45k miles, when the engine died. I felt deceleration, then the vehicle would not respond. Luckily I was able to drift to side of road...
    VCS light and Red triangle lights were on...vehicle seemed to power on, but there was no MPG reading (where it normally says "0" when starting the engine). Then after a few tries to start, all display lights came on, and power (start) button only showed red...would not go to green

On a trip, so had to get towed to dealership and will be there at 7:15 tomorrow AM. Any advice?

2. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know this may be a strange question, but 9 times out of 10 what you experienced was due to low fuel. How many pips were showing on your gauge?

3. rbc07

rbc07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks...there were 4 showing. I had fueled 278 miles previously and the monitor showed 48.5 mpg. I would really be surprised if there was no fuel

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, a sudden failure. If you have sufficient fuel, maybe the inverter died. Please let us know what DTC were logged and the dealer's diagnosis.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Multiple attempts to start the engine with a failure throws another code and effectively leaves the car immobile. Sounds like an interesting problem and we'll need to understand the codes.

Bob Wilson

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Having an 07 I hate to hear this myself. Do yourself a favor and pick-up a Scan Gauge here at the Prius Shop. It will be the most important tool you'll own in troubles like this.You can read out the codes the car throws instantly. Then list those codes here or on the Internet or get a Chiltons manual for $15 for complete list of codes.Plus it reads out engine parameters too. And can use in other cars also.
    It does sound like you ran out of fuel. Or maybe another infant mortality inverter failure. Good luck and please let us know.

7. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sounds like my 04 when it died... a few times. It ended up being the air intake valve was clogged.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well heck... its after 7:15....any news yet?