1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine dies when cold ?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by adric22, Jan 21, 2010.

1. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This morning when I started the Prius, something strange happened. The engine ran for a few seconds, then died. The little blue thermometer icon was still visible on the dash. After a few seconds, it started back up again. I began to back out of the garage and it died again, followed by another start up. As I drove off, everything seemed fine. I never got a check-engine light or anything. Now, I realize this can happen with any car sometimes, but it is the first time it has happened with this one and it was only 54 degrees F this morning, and actually 65 degrees in the garage where it was parked. Anything I should be worried about there?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Engine stopping when in "R" is normal behavior. In fact, I've used this trick from time to time when the engine is too cold to auto-stop:

• while stopped - hold brake firmly with left foot
    • shift into "R" and pulse accelerator - engine may stop even if coolant is too cool
    • shift into "N" and wait for light to change - this inhibits further engine running
    • light changes, shift into "D" and proceed - engine will start with shift and everything else is 'normal' (well consider the source!)
    Bob Wilson

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bob, is this Reverse-AutoStop behavior GenI only?

4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not convinced that is the issue, as it has never done this before. Also I went out for lunch today and when I came back to the car and put it in reverse, the engine started idling very rough. I just changed the spark-plugs in it last week, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem (unless I got a dud)

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It won't be the first time that similar symptoms came from different causes. The engine running rough sounds 'not good.' Debugging could get involved ... no "check engine" light is strange.

Just for grins, check throttle plate movement, check igniters to make sure they are well seated and plugs are "OK" as in properly seated. I heard the CarTalk guys diagnose a loose spark plug ... but it involved firing in the cylinder and spending plug and wires cattywampus.

Bob Wilson