1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine does not switch off even if I walk away from the car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Richmond, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Richmond

Richmond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I pull into garage, get out, lock the car with key/handle swipe, and walk upstairs. I go back 2 hrs later, engine is still running, although the key is far away (in my kitcehen upstairs).

1. Should the engine shut down when key goes out of range?
    2. If not, can it be programmed to make it happen?

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Um, no.

You'll have to remember to shut off the car yourself. Sorry.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mine beeps at me as I walk away.

If you get out and your SO drives off without a key, they will not be able to restart it without the key and you will be elsewhere. You have been warned.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It shouldn't lock...you may have hit the button but I bet it didn't beep/lock.
    But yea, you have to turn it off.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And no, it can't be configured that way. It would be a safety hazard. Picture the battery in your key fob dying while you are driving in bumper to bumper rush hour highway traffic. It's not a pretty sight.

Tom

6. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine won't let me lock the car via SKS or key fob if the car is still running. Only way is to lock via the door switch inside before you close the door or via the mechanical key.

7. Voltan

Voltan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is only one way to shut the power train off: hit the start button with your foot on the brake pedal.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Correct. Even worse: losing communication w/the key (or SKS battery dying) while at high speed or in the midst of passing on a two lane road or turning against oncoming traffic.

1 person likes this.
  9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    No, you only have to put your foot on the brake pedal to turn the car -ON-. You can turn it off without the brake pedal press. I've done it often from -outside- the car (reach in and turn it off).

To the original poster:
    Park car.
    Apply parking brake.
    Press "ON" button.
    Watch all dash lights go out.
    Car is now off and safe to leave.
    You must lock the doors if you want them locked, as you leave. Either manually or using FOB or SKS (if you have it).

10. Richmond

Richmond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks all.

1. If I do not turn power off before exiting, and try to lock using SKS, it beeps for a few seconds and stops. If I try locking with FOB, no beep at all. Either way, the car does not lock.

2. I guess I will get used to remember to turn power off over time, I just bought the Prius. But here is my concern. I have been used to "normal" cars all my life, still own an Accord, so I am wired to think all is well if I walk away from the car with my keys in my pocket. If I walk away from my Accord with engine running, the noise alerts me. But with the Prius, by the time the garage door opens, the engine has shut down and it glides noiselessly into the garage on battery power. So, all is quiet when I pick up my stuff and exit the car (although I may not have switched the power off). I don't usually lock the car in my own garage, so I may walk away with the pwer on. In fact, I have done this twice already, and gone back 2-3 hrs later to find the engine running. My concern is that if I leave the car with power on for several hours, overnight, etc., can it be a carbon monoxide issue for us in the bedroom upstairs (may be a dumb question but I really don't know the answer)?

3. Agreed, cutting engine off if keys leave range will be very dangerous on the road. But maybe Toyota can have the engine shut down after a delay, say 30 mins after key leaves range, with appropriate dash warnings beforehand. My phone dialpad in the car grays out(I cannot enter new numbers but can use call history) if my speed is > 5 mph, and I was told this was a safe-driving feature. I am sure Toyota can program software to shut engine off if keys are out of range AND car is stationary for 15-20 mins.

4. Most new Prius/Hybrid owners, I presume, will be used to if-i-have-the-keys-the-engine-is-not-running mindset, at least until they get used to the car. Until then, in a worst case scenario, this can be a safety (CO) issue, IMHO.

5. Or, am I am missing something?

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is yet another hair brained reason to drive with the headlights on all the time, you can tell when the car is off, in the garage. Have the dealer set the headlight off delay to 0 seconds and when you get out and it is off, the headlights turn off, when you forgot and it is still on, they stay on.

12. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My car beeps for a few seconds when I exit the car with FOB on my pocket and the car is on ready mode.

13. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That long beep is your warning that something's not right. Go back and check it when that happens.

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's even more fun when you have two cars with keyless entry systems that work very differently.

Then for more fun, when I get in my wife.s car in our garage I am often sitting down with the seat belt fastened before I realize I'm in a car that needs a key.

15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If the car is running in the closed garage, you are in great danger from CO in the bedroom above.

Get into the habit of:
    Apply parking brake.
    Press the Power button (the car automatically goes into "P").
    -Watch- all the dash lights go out.

In your case, your life may depend on it.

If you're in the bedroom and start to get a headache, open the windows, and then make sure the car is not running!

16. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Honestly, you've got to overcome one of the strongest forces out there, the force of habit. You've gotten into a certain habit/routine with your previous cars that doesn't work with this car. Give yourself a week or two of "training" (pull into garage, set parking brake, press "P", Press Power Button) so that your new routine becomes the force of habit. You'll probably have to think about it for that time, but eventually, it does burn in.

I get messed up now when I get into my wife's van. I buckle up and sit there....only to realize that "Doh" I have to now reach into my pocket and pull out the key to start the darn thing.

17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol, I do the same thing now in the RX. I got in, and waved my pointy finger over the dash as if a power button would appear to me... Took a few seconds for the whole "I need a key" realization. Then for shifting, I just knocked the gear selector down putting it in reverse, not drive! doh!

18. Richmond

Richmond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I am going to use the wait-30-seconds-make sure-lights-go-out-therefore-engine-is-off routine.

19. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe if you just put your keys somewhere that remind you to turn the car off. It's not like you forget to turn the car ON...so you need some kind of routine afterwards. Maybe put them down in the console tray and have a post-it note next to them saying "turn power off", or something simple like that.

20. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you rely on the headlights you will forget again someday. *Pay attention* to that long beep when trying to lock it! It means that *something is wrong.*

1 person likes this.