1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Information

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rest, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Anyone else miss engine information? It seems the Prius has taken it all away from us. I like seeing a temperature gauge for instance. It lets me pull over BEFORE any engine damage happens. The Prius uses idiot lights, which light after the damage has been done.

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 29 2006, 10:50 PM) [snapback]355598[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. I miss gauge information too. I would think with all the other information they have available they could have included oil pressure and coolant temperature or block temperature as well. I guess the only way to get that is purchasing something like Can View or Scantool. I don't have either of those yet and don't know exactly what they do provide.

Dave M.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I, definetely, like having more data to look at and the CAN-View provides more than I'll ever be able to make complete sense of.

But the idiot lights don't work the way you describe....they light once a maximum acceptable range is exceeded before damage occurs. They provide an adequate margin of safety, I assure you.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The aftermarket "scan" devices have the potential to give you lots of temperature, electrical, and electrical motor info. But without a different oil pressure sensor installed, you're not going to see anything more than a two-state indication of oil pressure with a transition in the 1 to 3 psi range. This is one of my (few) Prius Pet Peeves.

Evan, part of this pet peeve is that the (dim little) oil pressure warning light may not provide the safety margin that you and I both hope for. IMHO it ought to be announced at least as conspicuously as the 'low fuel ding".

5. klevitsky

klevitsky Junior Member

I've looked at Can-View about 3 times now, but $300 plus an after-market 7" touchscreen monitor is a little pricey for a temp gauge. Of course I realize CAN-view gives you loads more info, but knowing how much voltage is going where is not something I'd need to know or can do anything about. It's nice for the folks that have the $1000 extra kicking around, but I do wish it was part of the standard display. Doesn't seem like it would have taken that much more programming to include it on the MFD from the get go. My 2 cents.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 30 2006, 02:50 AM) [snapback]355598[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius does a better job watching engine data than any human can do. It's not like the old limit-switch idiot lights; you'll get plenty of warning before any damage is done. That said, I like being able to view data out of technical curiosity, so I'm with you on having it available on the standard screens.

Tom

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If the CanView is too expensive for you, consider the Scangauge III. Small, easy to install, quite useful (if you're an info nut) ;) .

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "idiot light" pretty much means if you continue to drive around with the light on, you're an idiot. if you see a light and pull over as soon as possible, in most cases the problem is fixable.

if you pull over as soon as you see the oil light, you'll probably be ok. if you drive another 6 blocks, the engine is probably toast.

9. vince31

vince31 New Member

Dont know about you, but I got an automatic 8 yr/100K mile warranty on the engine and Hybrid components as standard. So why would I want to be paranoid about the exact reading on the gauge, as long as its within acceptable limits (as defined by the idiot lights) then its OK.

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota could have easily implemented the "geek screens" with nothing
    more than a little more programming in the display module. But they
    also wanted to keep it all jack-simple for the, uh, "typical" driver,
    which happens to be very few of us here ... so we're left to put all
    that stuff in ourselves. Still, leaving out things as ROCK-BOTTOM
    BASIC as an engine tach and a battery-current meter is inexcusable.
    _H*

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Dec 1 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]356444[/snapback]</div>
    H

Which is why I don't understand the lack of such information, especially when I contrast my Prius to my Dad's car, a 2003 Buick LeSabre Limited.

The basic instrumentation is pretty basic, analog needles for speed, tach, fuel, and coolant temp. However, you can scroll through the Driver Information Center and see things like instant battery volts, instant oil pressure, instant coolant temp, etc.

Not just a basic scale of C to H or L to H either, but actual numbers. Like 52 psi oil pressure at idle.

My Dad's Buick is a big boat of a car, with the classic soft floaty Old Person Ride Quality. Yet if you're patient enough to read the owner manual you can dive into a lot of information.

I'm thinking one more touch box on the MFD: call it "info" or " data" or whatever. It can't be that hard. I started off programming Honeywell TDC 3000 industrial process computers. It would take me a whopping 3 minutes to add a new touch-box target with the Picture Editor, compile, and load it.

The factory gauges in my old 1984 Ford F-150 pooped out, one by one, so I just added Autometer mechanical temp and pressure gauges. I'm considering doing the same thing to my Prius.

j

12. nicoss

nicoss New Member

13. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Dec 1 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]356352[/snapback]</div>
    Scangauge III? Do you know something we don't?

14. mikep01

mikep01 New Member

if the light is red (oil or engine temp)turn engine off serious problem. it the light is orance (check engine) it a warning to take to the dealer as soon as possible.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, careful about that AutoEnginuity list. I have the latest version
    of that product with the Toyota enhancement. One major problem is
    that that list is ALL the possible parameters Toyota has given lists
    of to the scantool makers, without any guidance as to WHICH ones
    apply to any given car. So you get to wade through most of that list
    while connected to a Prius, wondering which badly-translated names
    you're really interested in -- some are obvious, such as anything
    related to EGR won't apply to a Prius but there it is, taunting you.
    Some look likely but always sit at 0 or some negative/bogus value.
    Some of the ones with identical names in the official Mastertech tool
    don't even come back with results. In short, unless some amount of
    favoritism has been played between Toyota and a given scantool
    maker [in this case, Vetronix] you don't really get a good picture.
    To AutoEnginuity's credit, Jay Horak [the main developer] is farther
    along than a lot of the other guys. Many "professional-level" tools
    can't even talk to the Prius at all. It is a total standards
    nightmare, and apparently not destined to settle down any time soon.
    _H*

16. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Dec 5 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]358140[/snapback]</div>

Understood and thanks!;

The reason that I posted the table is that it implies that Toyota has some document available that contains all the CAN bus messages (address, encoding etc) that would be of immense help in further CANView development.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(klevitsky @ Nov 30 2006, 08:17 AM) [snapback]355686[/snapback]</div>
    When you have to get a 7" touch screen it runs the price up. You can do well under 300 for the touch screen if you look around. You’re estimate of close to 1000 is close but 800-900 is closer. A lot of money to be sure and it is cheaper for the 05 and < who can get a V3 or 2 CAN View that uses the installed display. A lot of it is how interested are you in the details of how the car works? The "standard" display gives you most of the information you need, but skimps on the details. I now think that you can get maximin MPG with the standard display. The CAN View is for those who kneed to try to understand more about how the Prius is doing what it does. Choices are? Waiting is!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicos @ Dec 2 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]356774[/snapback]</div>
    Very nice list now all we need is a few people with the Toyota Scan Tool to help us sort the thing out!

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's really difficult to hold warp-stealth without a battery current
    meter at the very least...
    _H*

19. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Dec 5 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]358300[/snapback]</div>
    My assumption is that autoenginuity has access to a Toyota document that describes the CAN messages and the appropriate handshake to access the various microcontrollers.
    There is enough <strike>man power </strike>(oops) person power in this forum to try and get hold of such a document.

20. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many times the gauges you get on an automobile are not real gauges at all. My '97 F150 had gauges. But the oil pressure gauge was just merely an extension of the idiot light. It indicated 3/4 scale if over certain amount of psi of oil pressure was present. It would indicate 0 if the oil pressure was less than the idiot light preset setting. The battery gauge never moved a hair from 3/4 scale when the car was on despite various changing electrical loads on the system. I suspect it worked the same as the oil pressure gauge.

I was told on many Honda cars the oil pressure gauge was linked to both the idiot light and the tach to give an impression you were actually seeing actual oil pressure fluctuate with changing engine RPM's. I suppose this was a more reliable and less costly implementation of the gauges.

I suspect if Toyota was to add gauges on the Prius many would not be "true" readings of the actual engine parameters.

Regards,

Rick