1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine is shaking sometimes, when Ice starts.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Magnuz, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Magnuz

Magnuz New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    The car is a Prius gen3 2009. Has gone 80,000 km. Shaking comes a second after the engine starts after, for example, a slowdown and a turn.. Low gas. Cold or hot engine does not matter. Have submitted it to Toyota but they could not feel anything despite several tests. I experience the problem several times every day.

They looked for cracks in the manifold but found none. They said EGR valve and intake manifold are clean. The car is serviced as it should.

Does anyone know what this could be? I've read a lot here in the forum and dirty manifold and EGR valve will return often.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How did the dealer determine egr valve and manifold to be clean? That takes a while to remove and checked

3. Magnuz

Magnuz New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    They had the car for two days....

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is a fairly easy DIY: follow @NutzAboutBolts video #14 here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

For throttle body cleaning, well just to get to the throttle body. Then push the blade open and look through with a good light, see if you see a sheen of oil below. This will indicate oil is dumping into the manifold from the PCV.

Another DIY, similar difficulty, #16 video, is the EGR pipe cleaning. This is by no means the entire EGR circuit, just the pipe that connects to the intake manifold. But checking it's condition, degree of clogging will give you some idea.

I'm at 72K km's, recently wrapped up cleaning of the EGR circuit and intake manifold. The EGR wasn't overly clogged, but getting there. The intake manifold had quite a bit of oil, and the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (directly below the throttle body) was very oil-fouled.

Raytheeagle and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  5. Magnuz

Magnuz New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Do you have the same symtoms as me?

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not to speak of. I did have one instance of engine shake at start up, and this was after starting the car cold and quickly shutting down, the day previous. This supposedly can trigger the shake at start up.

What I do have, is a lot of spare time, and a lot my attention is on PriusChat, problems, solutions. So someone comes with a course of action, I tend to try it out, preemptively.

Robert Holt and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Magnuz

Magnuz New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Ok. I wish i had that amount of time to......And a warm garage.....

My theory is; Toyota looked for cracks i the manifold and not so much for dirt i the egr valve. I said that i hav read about clogging of the egr i a forum, but they havent heard about problems of that. Sorry for my not so good english, i am Swedish....... I think that i will check the pipe and if there is any oil in the manifold.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh, you're quite far north, days are getting very short now I guess.

I have the Wallander ringtone on my phone (I kid you not, lol). From the British series, though I really liked the Swedish one as well. I had some troubles getting good sub-titles, as you can see:

upload_2017-11-12_10-37-49.png

(The expression "in the skull" was literal translation, should have been something like "in mind". Should have read something like "what they had in mind with the burning cars was to create a distraction".)

9. Magnuz

Magnuz New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Yes, the dark is here. The daylight is gone around 4 in the afternoon. And its getting colder. Oh, a polarbear just walked by.....kidding..

#9 Magnuz, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Dan05979

Dan05979 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just had a similar problem. I haven't run my prius since last friday nov 17. I just started it up this morning 11.27 and the motor was shaking for about a minute until it smoothed out. & i just cleaned out that whole intake system and egr. Any thoughts?

The only reason is I need to replace the rear brakes and r/rear wheel bearing which will be done this weekend. So the car has been sitting while i've been using my other car.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you last run, on the 17th, was it just for a minute or two? That has been noted as one cause for rough start, not yet resolved as why. It would run rich in that scenario, maybe washing oil of cylinder walls?

When you cleaned the intake manifold, maybe the injectors got some spray or crud??

#11 Mendel Leisk, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  12. Dan05979

Dan05979 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I parked it it just came off a 140 drive to & from work. i started it up this morning just to let it run and not let the battery drain. When i cleaned out the intake, it was on my patio and was dry by the time i reinstalled everything. new pcv, and that little oil collection by the throttle body was cleaned up. I can't think of what's causing that. the only thing that comes to minds is maybe a bad MAF sensor or spark plug coils. ugh....

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How was the MAP sensor, the one just below throttle body. Mine was oil-soaked. I cleaned with isopropyl one time. And cleaned again a bit later with MAF sensor cleaner. Didn't seem to make much difference, and actually the MAP sensor seems pretty tough, considering it's environment. Probably not the issue, just musing. Check out the price of replacement MAP sensor btw, it's a bit hard to swallow, over $200 US IIRC.

When cleaning the intake manifold, while it's off, I assume you ran a cloth around the intake ports a bit? Again, I'm thinking maybe got a bit of crud on the injectors in the process, and it'll work it self out in time?

14. Dan05979

Dan05979 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yup, I cleaned out the map sensor with maf sensor cleaner. I'm not going to worry too much about it right now. Since the car was sitting in the cold for over a week, i'll put it in my head it was just a cold start and all the bad stuff in the engine needed to be burned away lol

I'm using 87 octane. That's ok right?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Magnuz

Magnuz New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    I disconnected the harness to the egr-valve and the symtm did not show for the hole time that is was disconnected. I have cleaned the manifold and the egr pipe today and are going to take a testdrive now. There was oil and carbon in the pipe and manifold.

But i did not really find anything that was wrong besides some oil and carbon. Cleaned the sensor in the manifold, it was oily.

#15 Magnuz, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017