1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Jerking/Stutter Shifting Gears

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EastR, May 20, 2012.

1. EastR

EastR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am having issues with a 2006 Gen II Prius that just approached 120K miles. When going down a hill at approx. 35-40mph, the engine jerks when downshifting or when coasting.

At 35-40mph on flat ground I will be coasting, and then press the petal softly (to try to pulse and glide) and the engine/car jerks when re-engaging the ICE. This can also happen at low speeds of 10-15mph on flat ground when the engine "hiccups" and then shifts instead of smooth transitions.

This Prius has always had regular maintenance and oil changes, but I am wondering whether this is the spark plugs? or something in the engine more serious? Thanks folks.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not possible, since the Prius does not have shiftable gears and lacks any clutch for disengaging the engine.

There can be a noticeable shudder when the ICE powers up, which is likely what you are describing.

Is this a new situation for this car?

Tom

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  3. EastR

EastR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly. The shudder is more pronounced in the last 3-5K miles and always occurs at specific speeds of about 35-40mph. It could be my bad memory, but the car was a lot smoother in its early days.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Most benign possibility: dirty throttle body.

Most malignant possibility: Trans is on its way out.

Try cleaning the throttle body first.
    Next would be a drain and fill of the transaxle fluid. Catch a sample and send it for analysis. Search here for details on that process.

It would help if an experienced technician could test drive the car.

1 person likes this.