1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine kinda thuds when I stop

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by nikki&petey, Feb 23, 2009.

1. nikki&petey

nikki&petey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sometimes when I come to a stop at a light the engine will kinda thud when it turns off. Is this normal?

My car is a 07 with 40,000 miles on it. My husband and I just got it last Friday and have noticed this 3 or 4 times in the week since we bought it.

Thanks for your help.

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If this happens only during the first few minutes you are driving, then everything is normal. As I understand it, the ICE (the gas engine) needs to have a particular alignment of the pistons when it comes to a stop. There is not always a smooth transition from regular revolutions to the particular stopping point when the engine is "cold." There even are times when it feels as though the ICE is "kicking" as it comes to a stop. Not to worry!

If you are noticing something like this even after the car has been running a long time, and after you've already come to a full stop a couple of times, then please advise.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As described above, it's normal. It is more noticeable in cold weather.

Tom

4. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    what he said...
    i've got 45K miles and have noticed it from time to time. usually when not warm on short trips.

5. nikki&petey

nikki&petey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Thank you so much everyone. That makes me feel much better. I keep thinking about all the expensive things that can go wrong on this car and I swear I am going to have a panic attack at times. I love the car but am scared by all the technology that is very very expensive to fix.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumer Reports finds the Prius extremely reliable.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, your car is still covered by the 60K mile drivetrain warranty and the 100K mile hybrid system warranty, so most of the expensive potential failures are still covered right now.

For the 2007 model year, I would say the most likely issues you might have which are not covered under warranty would be a combination meter (aka instrument panel) failure or a multifunction display (touchscreen) failure, but even so, the likelihood of either is < 5% - so enjoy your new car!

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    +1 on what he said

Some of us (like myself), refer to it as being an intermittent rough shutdown.