1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"engine" light, code P0505

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PA Prius, Jun 13, 2010.

1. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I made three ten mile trips this evening. On the first trip the "engine" light came on. This is the first time I have seen this light (2004 @ 134,000 miles). ScanGuage reports diagnostic code P0505. The "engine" light remained on through all three trips. Also, I was not able to get the ICE to shut down and run only on battery at all, even though the battery was on the upper level of charge and the engine was warm. There were long stretches where I normally run on battery at around 35 mph. I'm supposing there is a connection.

Suggestions? We are planning to on an 8 hour drive to WV in two days....

PA P

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    P0505 indicates some problem with the electric idle system. I would check to make sure that the air cleaner is in place, check the hose(s) going to the PCV system and look for any other hoses that may be cracked or have come loose. If you can't find anything wrong, you may need to take it in for service.

Attached Files:

3. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, where is the PCV system located? Any pics?

PA P

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's some discussion of PCV in my 100k maint pages.
    I still haven't ever changed mine out, despite having a new
    one in stock.
    If you get the engine running and then flip to Neutral, what
    happens? How does it run? Does it hunt around, does it idle at
    what sounds too high or too low, etc? Does it change if you
    remove the air box cover?
    It's worth making sure the MAF is clean and the throttle plate
    moves relatively freely when it's not powered up, as initial
    checks, and of course eyeball as many hoses as possible. It's
    fairly easy to pull the air box off and check around underneath.
    And a look at what's *in* the air box, e.g. condition of the
    filter and intake snorkel, can't hurt -- you might have had
    critters build a big ol' nest in there and block airflow.
    _H*

1 person likes this.
  5. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks Hobbit. I did fiddle with various hoses, looked in under the air filter, removed and retightened gas cap, added a cup of engine oil, checked for critters' nests and put it into N while idling. Everything seems normal. The rpm's didn't seem to change when shifted into N, remained smooth.

I then cancelled the diagnostic code via ScanGuage. The "check" light went out, and it returned to running on battery without ICE as it normally should. Is all well?!? Or will this likely pop up again soon? Is there any harm in continuing to drive if this comes up again, especially if we are on our longer trip (8 hr. each way) later this week?

I do have our annual state inspection scheduled for tomorrow. I should likely mention this to the service man (non-Toyota), right?

PA P

6. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I personally wouldn't mention it in the context of an inspection, since a check engine light is typically prima facie evidence of emissions system failure. do not know if you need an emissions test.. depends on where you are in PA.

I have my own issues with the ridiculous inspection system in PA, but that's for another thread.

7. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, I do need an emissions test.

PA P

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In that case, you'll need to drive the car around 100 miles or so, after cancelling the DTC. The engine ECU keeps track of how many miles have been driven since DTC were cancelled, and will not allow emissions testing before the threshold is reached. This is to discourage owners who have a DTC from cancelling it just before taking the car for a test.

Although you didn't find any problems, you should not assume that all is well. It would really be better if you had your car serviced at the dealer to determine where the problem is, prior to embarking on your road trip. Perhaps the throttle control motor is beginning to bind.

Of course you would first have to drive the car sufficiently so that the warning light and DTC reappears. The Toyota tech probably would not appreciate your indicating that you had cancelled the DTC before bringing the car in. Other DTC besides P0505 may have been logged that your Scan Gauge did not pick up.

9. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bummer, I didn't know about the 100 mile buffer. Thanks for the info. I'll likely fess up to the serviceman and possibly reschedule.

PA P

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if you plan to take your car in for service I still think that you should drive the 100 miles today. Stop a couple of times during the trip and turn off the car. Include both city and highway driving during the trip.

Then, if no warning lights appear, go to your emissions test tomorrow as scheduled. If the CEL comes on, cancel the emissions test appt and instead take your car to the Toyota dealer to see if they can fix the problem before your road trip starts.

11. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I talked with the non-Toyota serviceman (a friend) and told him the whole story. Since I didn't have any additional driving planned for today and really didn't want to just go out and drive to add up those miles, I rescheduled the inspection and emissions test for next week.

He felt it would be fine for us to go on our trip. He said a blinking CEL is urgent, but a steady on should be okay. That is the current plan.

PA P

12. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update: We made our trip to WV and all is well. The "check" light did not come back on, so I am hoping whatever caused it to come on originally has disappeared. About 430 miles each way. 54 mpg to, and 60 returning. Took the less mountainous route home. Drove constantly at 60 mph (except for up to 80 mph sailing down mountains) with AC on.

Scheduled for inspection and emissions test later this week.

PA P

13. Ron67

Ron67 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming you are using some sort of code reader, it may show monitor status. If it does, in the state of NC all but one monitor have to be complete for an inspection to pass (2001-2010). Your long trip has caused it to no doubt run all the monitors, but good info for future referance.

14. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update: Passed inspection and emissions. No questions asked.

Now, 3 weeks and 2000 miles later the engine light came back on and ScanGauge is showing the same code. I was driving this evening, water temp was warm and battery was charged, but it wouldn't shut down the ICE. I checked the codes, nothing. Two minutes later the engine light came on. I checked the codes and got the P0505. Grrrr.

PA P

15. Oltean

Oltean New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this a common issue on the 2004 Prius? I have close to 130k and the same P0505 code. And I have to pass inspection, but after resetting the light the code comes back within couple of days. The code started popping about two years ago, rarely at first and inspection passable. Now is almost ON all the time. Car runs fine, mpg the same, but at stops idles rough, then code pops (unless is there already). What's interesting is that if I reset the code right when it's running rough, everything become normal, the gas engine will shut right away. Also the code seems to like humidity (most likely to pop when air is humid and rainy weather). Luckily I just fished off a throttle body assembly from a 2009 off eBay and I hope it will solve the issue. Dealer price for throttle valve body: $932, ebay price $140. I am curious what was the solution for the PA Prius.

16. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had the throttle body cleaned and it hasn't been a problem since. Although there is one change that I've been wondering about. When going down a hill where I don't need to have my foot on the accelerator, the ScanGauge mileage will be at what once was normal for a second or two, but will then decrease about 100 mpg. Example-- on the highway and going down a significant hill at 60 mph it would usually show about 300 mpg. It now shows that for a second or two, then drops to 200 mpg. If I shift it to N the mpg jumps back up. When ScanGauge is set to TPS it also jumps a number at that time, from 13 to 14 I think, or maybe it is 12 to 13. Any feedback on that would be helpful.

PA P

17. Racbca

Racbca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi PA Prius,
    What exactly did you do when you mentioned throttle body cleaning?
    Thanks

18. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The dealer did this, so I'm not sure what all is involved.

PA P

19. Racbca

Racbca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks.

20. howardc1

howardc1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 20006 Prius check engine light also went on for the first time yesterday after 123K miles. Could this also be caused by the cabin filter? I started to change that filter a long time ago and couldn't find it and never did it. Is that filter necessary? Is it behind the glove compartment somewhere? thanks.