1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine light is on - 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prosec34, Dec 4, 2006.

1. prosec34

prosec34 New Member

I've had my '02 for five days now, and it's been a really neat car. But this morning, I started the car and while I briefly fumbled with an MP3 player, the engine died. I restarted it, and the engine light came on, and on the informational display, it read "PS" and showed the battery symbol.

The temperature outside was in the low 20s, and this was the first time I had started the car when it was that cold, if that matters.

I made a short trip (2 mi), and when I restarted the car in five minutes, the same thing was on the display.

Any ideas?

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There have been many reports of similar things in the Classics
    ['01 - '03] as we're heading into this winter. Let me see if I've
    got all the potential causes in mind here:
    __ throttle body crapped up underneath
    __ wrong oil or oil overfill
    __ needs ECU upgrade
    __ fuel pump and/or control relays
    Unless the fuel pump or related really is bad, it's a case of the
    ECU being a little too sensitive to how long the engine takes to get
    running, and the engine being just a little too sluggish. That's
    why it's a sporadic condition that's worse when everything's cold.
    Search the forums and/or google for "P3191" and "prius" to find many
    more accounts of this. Bottom line is that it's likely you can still
    drive the car, with minor annoyances here and there, but you should
    get it looked at for the common causes as soon as is reasonable.
    _H*

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prosec34 @ Dec 4 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]357316[/snapback]</div>
    Just a little more information for you (adding to Hobbit's info).

1 - The throttle body get fouled and it's been assumed that it is due to overfilling the oil. There may be other long term causes as well.

2 - Cleaning the throttle body is not a big deal, get it done or do it yourself (the instructions can be found by a search).

3 - The reason Hobbit mentioned the P3191 number is that it is the TSB code for a free replacement of the ECU by your friendly Toyota dealer to make it less sensitive to slow starts. Get it done. They are likely to say that other work (not free) is also necessary, do the ECU first (and throttle body cleaning) and see if the problem goes away.

How many miles are on your Prius? You may want to consider changing the ATF fluid (in the HSD) if it hasn't been done (do it every 30,000 miles) and the spark plugs (also related to a possible starting hiccup).

JeffD

4. prosec34

prosec34 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Dec 4 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]357341[/snapback]</div>
    It has 35,000 miles. The guy I bought it from had it for 4,000 miles or so and hadn't changed the oil. He said he'd never had a problem with it, and he is a very credible fella.

FYI: It's two hours later, and I just went out to see what happened when I cranked it.

This time, the "Triangle of Death" light did not come on, the informational display was normal, but the engine light was on. I cut it off, started it again, and everything looked fine (engine light gone).

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That makes sense... it takes 3 restarts to clear the CEL if the condition is no longer present (and from the description from Hobbit it's an intermittent problem that probably isn't currently present).

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prosec34 @ Dec 4 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]357365[/snapback]</div>
    At 35,000 you shouldn't need spark plugs.

You should put in new ATF (Type T). Bob Wilson has been collecting data that shows a 30,000 mile interval is about right for the classic Prius (2001-2003). My data on a 2004 Prius suggests a 60,000 mile interval for ATF (type WS) is about right. Of course this has nothing to do with your current intermittent problem, but is important for the long term health of your Prius.

JeffD

7. prosec34

prosec34 New Member

Thanks to everyone for their responses. The internet never ceases to amaze me.

8. tofani

tofani New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a 2002 Prius with 35,000 miles. I never have any problems with it until the temps start dropping. If it is below 30 degrees at times it will turn the check engine light on with the triangle of death on the first start of the day. I got tired of making an appointment at my Toyota dealership and by the time I was able to get it in to be checked out the light was not on any more and they were charging me a $70 diagnostic fee. I purchased my own code reader on-line for around $50. Now when the check engine light comes on I just clear out the code myself. I only use Amsoil oil and a factory TRD oil filter and I only use Shell gas,regular grade only, as they are listed as a top tier gas station. I have been considering having the ATF fluid changed. What is everyones thoughts on either using the factory ATF fluid of Amsoil ATF Fluid? Thanks!!!!

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Chaining the transaxle oil is an excellent idea. However, my testing with Amsoil ATF showed excessive copper in the subsequent tests. There are reports that Amsoil ATF is hostile to 'yellow' metal like the bushings in our transaxles.

There are two schools of thought on using the OEM Type T-IV or newer Type WS. I'm pretty happy with Type WS and frequent changes. But I also respect those who decide to stay with Type T-IV. But please avoid Amsoil ATF unless you are prepared to test the oil, frequently.

Bob Wilson

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm interested to know what DTC is logged by your car. If P3191 or P3101, then I suggest that you have the engine ECU replaced under TSB EG011-03. That is covered under the Federal 8 yr/80K mile emissions warranty.

I hope you are using 5W-30 viscosity engine oil. If you instead are using a heavier viscosity oil, that might be the reason for your engine no-start problem.

Regarding the transaxle fluid change, I suggest using Toyota ATF T-IV since that is the correct fluid for Classic vehicles, and Classic transaxles seem to fail at a non-trivial rate based upon complaints posted on this and other Prius forums.

11. Melissa sullivan

Melissa sullivan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm sorry I dont know how to start my own post to ask a question I cant seem to find the answer to any where. I'm a new prius owner and by the looks of what ive read on these forums I messed up pretty good by purchasing a 2002. I'm also new to this forum so please forgive me if i sound ignorant because I am as far as this subject goes. I really want to learn though. So here it goes. When I first start my car every day for the first time it takes about 3 tries maybe more for it to actually turn on. There is power but no engine comes on. And no significant sounds. Most of the time there is a check engine light on but after driving the car around it isent hard to start any more and the the light turns off. If I drive a for a while, I'm a delivery driver for food on an app, sometimes the ps light comes on and it is hard to turn the steering wheel. Today I was driving and the check engine light was not on there were no lights on and all of a sudden I couldnt accelerate. There were no noises nothing happend just couldnt accelerate. I put my hazards on turned off the car and it started right up and the problem was gone. Which also happens with the ps problem. If i turn the car off and turn it back on it is fine again. I read that you can get this cable to hook up to the orb reader and then to your laptop and there is a software some where on this forum that you can get for free to get the codes. If any one know what the cable is called and the link to where I can get the software I'll order the cable and can then go from there. I just cant find that post again. Oh yeah and the steering wheel some times starts shaking I read that is the power steering module. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if any one can tell me how to start my own thread that would be great too. Thank you so much.