1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine light is on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Taleb, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Taleb

Taleb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a Toyota Prius (2010), and the car has run for about 2800000 kilometers.
    One day when a was driving my Prius the engine light suddenly get on. So I went to a car car mechanic, he checked the car and told me there was an error code (error code: P0401, exhaust problem (exhaust recirculation flow).
    So I bought a liquid that I put in the gas tank, the liquid would clean the exhaust pipe, but the engine light was still on.
    The engine light is usually on at least 2 weeks, then disappear for about 2 days and come back in two weeks…
    The car is driving normally without any problems.

I don't know what the problem is.
    Do anyone know what the solution is, or have any tips that would be usefully?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try disconnecting the 12 volt negative cable for a few minutes. that should clear it and if it comes back, ask the mechanic to clear it with his reader. if that doesn't work,you will need a toyota specific reader for more analysis detail to find out what needs to be repaired.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume that your odometer reading is 280K km, not 2800K km. So that is around 170K miles.

The EGR valve may have failed or the pipes connecting that valve may have a clog.