1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Light on dashboard - help please :-(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bulletprooffool, Jun 20, 2008.

1. bulletprooffool

bulletprooffool Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I recently purchased an 04 T Spirit in London,
    She runs sweetly and I get around 57mpg, but I have just spotted an issue.

Twice in the past week, I accelerated relaticely hard, to passs trucks on the motorway. Both times, an orange light apperaed on the dash, flashing for a few second before going away (the light looks like an engine)

My girlfriend drives the car to work each day and toda, on her way home, the light came back on . . .but it has stayed on - even after switching the car off and on again? Any ideas what could be causing this? the car had a Toyota service about 3 months ago and has only 14000 miles on the clock.

Any ideas / thoughts would be greatly appreciated - I do not feel like squandering a bunch of money to find out what is / is not wring by going to a dealer.

Thanks
    :juggle:

2. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are a myriad of possible causes. I think your best of hope learning more is to ask around your friends to see if one owns an OBD2 code reader you can borrow.

Plugging that into the OBD2 port with the engine running when that symbol is showing on dash should let you get a code. Looking up that code on the Internet should tell you what the system things has one wrong, and may give you some ideas of what to do.

One common (and cheap to fix) problem that causes that light is an imperfectly seated gasoline tank cap. If the light is on now, run right out and try re-seating the cap.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you can post a picture of the light it will be most helpful. That's very low milage for a 2004. I wonder if it was well maintained before you got it. I fear it may be a problem with the inverter and blocked cooling lines causing it to overheat. You will probably have to go to the dealer to get to the bottom of it.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [deleted for silly irrelevancy]

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the powertrain warranty in the UK? In the US, the car would still be covered and hence I would suggest taking the car to the dealer.

I am assuming that your gallon is the Imperial gallon, so 57 mpg means ~47.5 miles/US gallon, which is good.

6. bulletprooffool

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Patrick, what is the warrantee in the States? I can ring Toyota up and find out ifd the same is covered here, though I am not sure whether this is a powertrain issuesor not?

I have a scantool ready to hook up and get an error code - I'll try get round to it later today.

7. bulletprooffool

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Right, hooked up to the OBD2 with Scantool and got the following error code:
    P0301
    P0301*
    I believe this means cylinder01 misfire detected.

Now, I am more computer yechy than car fundi, so I'm wondering if anyone here can tell what the possible causes and fixes are?
    I am guessing it is probably something like spark plugs or something similar? - I only get this when I accelerate hard . .

Oh, and in response tpo the earlier post about how low my mileage is . . I live in London, the previous owner was a Hedge Fund banker that used public transport to get to work and worked 14hour days - he only used the car for weekend journeys - seldom more than 100 miles.

Even my car, which my girlfried uses to get to work and back each day only averages 8000 a year. I guess now my Prius will be doing 8000 a year . .

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There was a Toyota technical note about water getting into the igniters (aka., the spark plugs.) I don't know all of the details but they had a fix for the problem. But to ask about a related problem, do you 'hear' water when driving or especially turning?

There is a problem with the drain holes getting plugged in the pan that holds the windshield wiper motor. This water, if it is there, could easily be part of the problem. I've not read of a fix other than to make sure the pan gets periodic maintenance to clean out the debris.

Bob Wilson

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US the powertrain warranty is 5 years/60K miles.
    Toyota Warranty and Coverage

You have correctly interpreted DTC P0301. Cylinder #1 is closest to the right-hand fender (or driver's side fender in UK). Bob offered a good suggestion about inspecting for water leaking from the cowl into the spark plug wells; a TSB exists to that effect.

If you wish to DIY, I suggest removing the spark igniter over the plug, then looking into the spark plug well to see if any moisture is within. Also examine the spark igniter to see if there are any cracks or discoloration of the plastic body; or corrosion of the low voltage terminals on top and the high voltage connector inside the plastic shell.

If you see no problems, then remove the spark plug for inspection. Correct spark gap is 1 to 1.1 mm. The gap of a used plug cannot be adjusted. The porcelain insulator at the tip should at worst have only a very light coating of combustion products on it and should have a near-white color. The spark plug porcelain tail should not have any cracks or burn marks.

If you need to replace the plug, only use the correct Denso or NGK iridium spark plug; your owner's manual should show the model #s.

Tightening torque of the spark plug is 13 ft.-lb. Tightening torque of the spark igniter bolt is 82 in.-lb. To improve your access to the spark igniters, it would help to first remove the relay box mounted to the cowl.

What is a "car fundi"??

10. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :usa2:

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-service-bulletins-tsbs/31384-list-tsbs-2004-dtcs.html

Service Bulletin Num : 06305 Date of Bulletin: DEC 16, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number: 10018851
    Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
    Summary:
    M.I.L. ON DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, OR P0304. *TT
    Make : TOYOTA Model : PRIUS Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.

11. bulletprooffool

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the incredibly quick responses!
    I'll get outside and check it all out this afternoon.

oh, and 'fundi' means expert or wizard

will post back with info as soon as I have some,

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might take a peek at Hobbit's essay and the photos at the end:
    In particular, check out the windshield wiper pan photo near the bottom.

Bob Wilson

13. bulletprooffool

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Grrr . . .effing light came back yesterday - P0301 again.
    I am trying to figure out whether I left her in the rain (I think I may have)

Anyway . . I'll make some time this afternoon to check for water etc . .
    Thanks again for the help

14. bulletprooffool

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Into Toyota today.
    £245 to replace a coil and 4 spark plugs (and do some troubleshooting)

Guess I should have just done it myself? - though I am a computer geek, not car geek.

Will see when I poick her up tonight whether the problem is in fact resolved!

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you look at the cowl panels located below the windshield wipers. Note the vertical seam between the two plastic panels. Was sealant applied to prevent water from dripping down onto the engine valve cover?

If not, you'll probably be paying another £245 next winter to replace spark igniter #1 again, after the next downpour when your car is outdoors.

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're getting the light *flashing*, that indicates misfire
    so severe you're risking engine damage. That's in the spec for
    how the MIL is supposed to work. If it just comes on and stays
    on and sets the code, that's not quite as critical but
    obviously still needs attention.
    _H*

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I recall there was a TSB for some '04s to correct the weather sealing around the engine compartment. Check to see whether yours needs this.