1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by joebif, May 27, 2011.

1. joebif

joebif New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On my 2010 Prius ll when the engine kicks in, is it normal for the engine to sound noisy, almost like a diesel. It's embarrassing because the car is noted for bring quiet. Is it not? It was like that when I got it, and I took it back and they checked it out, but apparently they thought it was ok. I'm thinking of taking it back again. Just a little over 4000 miles on it. I am troubled by this, can someone help me out!

Thanks in advance,
    Joe B

2. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    all priuses are noisy when the ICE kicks in...completely normal

3. joebif

joebif New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What does ICE mean. For whater reason I don't know though I have seen that mentioned before.

Thank You!

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Internal Combustion Engine.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine is usually a little noisy and rough when it is cold. It should be much smoother and quieter when fully warmed up.

6. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

7. kklin

kklin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    my 1-month old Prius also has some "strange noise". A loud thud noise will sound when after I put the car in "R". After that "noise", then I can back out of my garage. Is this normal? Thanks

8. grharman

grharman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2011 III, and I have no ICE noises, hot or cold, nor do I hear anything when going from D to R or vice/versa. Mine is completely silent. I know there was some discussion on the VVTi issue, but not sure if that is what you are hearing.

9. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Joe,

A distinct possibility, especially if this comes near the start of the trip, is that in the first minute or so of driving, when your car drives essentially on all battery power (you hear the engine, but it's not driving, just warming stuff up), it lowers your hybrid battery's state of charge to a point where, after warming up for that minute or so, the engine works extra hard to recharge the battery. It will rev more and the acceleration will not be as smooth and easy compared to a time when your battery is relatively well charged.

You can read more about someone else's experiences with a lot revving on the highway, and a possible way to help it out or alleviate the problem:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...3304-odd-experience-higher-speed-tonight.html