1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine off after warm up and wandering at interstate speeds

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by trseven, May 2, 2011.

1. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wondering if this is just my car or something thats common with the Gen 1? After my car gets warmed up, just over 150F, the first stop or coast the engine will shut off. But unless I stop again and wait the 5 seconds or so for the engine to stop, I can't get it to shut off again down a hill or coasting. I need to stop, let it shut off, then after that all is good. Lift foot, engine off. Drives me nuts when I have a long hill and it doesn't shut off! (I'm using a scan guage II to watch the rpm and water temp)

Also a question on the steering, we took a 550 mile trip this past weekend, all interstate. Although it was a little windy, the car takes constant steering input to keep it in the center of the lane. It did get old after that many miles! Common problem? I read a little on the Gen2 having problems like that but the solution was dealer adjustments. The previous owner did have a new rack put in in 2008. Anything a DIY'er could do?

Thanks!
    Gerry

2. bobofky

bobofky Member

I can't help yoiu with the engine status, but my Prius is also sensitive to cross winds. Make sure your wheel alingment is okay.

1 person likes this.
  3. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Gen II is quite sensitive to high winds. I had to pay attention when I first started driving, but now it is normal for me. I can definitely feel the car moving horizontally when a semi truck passes by at a higher speed.

1 person likes this.