1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Off/EV mode trick

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just thought I'd let you guys know if you don't know already. If you turn on the car and shift into neutral, the engine will stay off until you shift into drive.

DigitalNomad likes this.
  2. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

Ive had my 2004 a few of months and knew this, Im *very* surprised you didnt !!!!

still, good to spread the knowledge of these wonderful creations :)

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tideland I tried that "trick" this morning and discovered that it makes it extremely difficult to get out of the driveway. I sat there for several minutes working the gas pedal but still the car wouldn't move. I switched MFD screens and punched buttons. All to no avail.

Ok, "no I'm not serious." But that's something I can honestly say I didn't even think of. I know there have been times when I have literally shut Priapus off because I didn't want to sit with the engine idling or risk that it would kick in. For example, when my carpool companion isn't out yet. I will try this tomorrow morning when it's my turn to drive.

If the engine is already running (early morning warm-up), does [N] shut it off?

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it leaves it idling. When in neutral, the car will neither stop nor start the engine, as the electric motors are deactivated. Their input is needed for both start-up and smooth shut-down.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well it's for those without the EV button. You could start the car, move it and reach a ramp, shift to neutral and coast that extra distance before the engine comes on, that's all. Works better in multistorey carparks.

6. f16bmathis

f16bmathis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed the EV MODE button and was driving earlier today when I decided to try shove it into EV MODE while driving. I got the two beeps, meaning it didn't engage, but then after that, EVERY time I let go of the gas pedal, the engine shuts down instantly! (I have one of those ODBII readers) I went from around 52 MPG (up and down hills, below 45mph) and started getting constant 75 plus MPG!!? Is this something we all know about? It was awesome! I didn't waste a drop of gas, even coasted uphill to a red light, with the engine shutting off as soon as I let go of the pedal! And the battery was charging up as I regened down the hills, which helped when I started up after red light / stop signs.

DigitalNomad likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the trick is SHOVING it into ev.:D

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, and well done, digging up this ANCIENT thread. are you an archeologist?:)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder whatever happened to astrotoy7?:rolleyes: