1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine oil level vs. temperature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, May 24, 2010.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    There was a question about oil level checking in a recent thread: whether to check it when the engine was hot or cold. This morning I did a quick experiment and the bottom line is: doesn't matter much (as long as enough time is given to allow oil to drain back down if after driving of course).

Details: The car has been sitting in the garage over the weekend. I turned the car ON (not READY), immediately turned off climate control, used ScanGauge to read the engine coolant T: 64F, and then turned the car off. I measured the oil level and it was 8 mm below full mark on the front side of the dipstick and 6 mm on the back. Then I plugged in the engine block heater and about two hours later the coolant T was up at 119F. I unplugged the EBH and checked the oil level: now 7 mm on the front and still 6 mm on the back. At the end of the second set of measurements (yes I did it multiple times just to be sure) the coolant T was down to 107F.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds right.