1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Oil Number Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AbuS3ood, Apr 6, 2010.

1. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All;

i went to the only Toyota Dealer in my region to do oil change for my 06 prius with 87k miles,they totally know nothing about prius maintenance and they just service it as normal car regardless to the hybrid system , i was chocked that they don't have the right oil type which is on the engine oil cap(5w30) they only have 5w40 Fully synthetic and 10w30 ??????

I have filled 5w40 since I noticed that its fully synthetic, is it okay or i should replace it as soon as i find 5w30 oil? after i got back to home i found the manual says
    "If SAE 5W- 30 oil is not available, SAE
    10W- 30 oil may be used. However, it
    should be replaced with SAE 5W- 30 at
    the next oil change."

the weather is almost hot where i live and temp is around 25-32 C (77 - 90 F)

what should i do? is it ok to keep the 5w40?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you don't have engine no-start issues, then don't worry. Since the ambient temp is warm in your location, I don't think you'll have any problems other than slightly worsened fuel economy.

Try to use 5W-30 for your next engine oil change if you can find another place to change your oil, or if you can do the work yourself.

1 person likes this.
  3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    To explain it simply (over simply, but just for the concept):

For a oil viscosity grade like 5W-30, the 5W refers to the cold oil viscosity (cold as in when the engine is cold) and 30 refers to the hot viscosity (hot as in when the engine is at normal operating temp). Viscosity is the thickness of the oil.

So the 5W-40 is ok when the engine is cold, but it is thicker than Toyota recommends when the engine is hot. The thicker oil may reduce mileage because it takes more energy to move it around and creates slightly more drag on internal components. It is probably more appropriate to use 40 weight if you are driving in sustained high temps above 100°F (38°C +)(like in the desert during summer).

1 person likes this.
  4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ?? The explanation is completely correct but the conclusion is wrong: his engine will be hot almost all the time, therefore given a choice between 5W-40 and 10W-30 he should use the oil which has the correct *hi temperature* weight, namely the 10W-30.

1 person likes this.
  5. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks all for your replies and explaination, i'll take an action soon, any other opinions are welcome.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, its true that the engine normally spends the majority of the time in the "hot" range. I don't think it will damage anything to run the 5W-40, it might lower the FE as Patrick stated earlier.