1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine overheating

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qasimsaeed, Nov 12, 2016.

1. qasimsaeed

qasimsaeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hv prius 2011 and the problem I m facing is with its engine temperature. A few days back, its temp warning light started to blink on motorways. I hv an OBD adapter so I measured the temp with torque app. It was around 110C to 120C. The diagnostic I performed is :

1. I checked for cooling fan functionality. The fan starts at 94C.

2. Even with fan running and engine at idle rpm, the temp continued to rise.

3. I replaced the temperature sensor but the new sensor gives me the same reading. Resistance of both sensors was 2K ohms at 20C which is according to the specificaton.

4. I checked the waterpump fuse and ralay. Both r fine. I removed the relay and the corresponding fault code appeared.

What else can go wrong? The ouside temp is 15-25 C so it is not that hot.

I am new to prius and bought it a month back. I know very little about its systems. I will appreciate if u guide me to solve this issue. Regards

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat:)!

How many miles on your Prius? Have you had the engine coolant changed recently? Any other work done in the recent past? How is the heat in the car (is it working fine)?

3. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    is your radiator getting warm?
    if not, the thermostat is stuck/

4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you checked your radiator fluid level? StarCaller's suggestion is good too - check that the radiator gets warm.

It's also possible it could be bad head gasket. If you have exhaust leaking into the radiator and causing air bubbles, this would cause overheating. Might try an easy check before you go through the bother of checking cylinder compression (don't need to pull plugs, just test whole engine at once):

5. qasimsaeed

qasimsaeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thx for the suggestions. Mileage is 63K. Yes, the radiator is not as hot as it should feel at 120C. I don't think so any problem with the gaskit. Inside the car, when I adjust the temp at I don't feel a burning hot air, rather a moderate temp air flow thrugh vent.

Coolant level is fine. I.just topped it up as sone coolant was spilled once replacing the sensor.

How should I check the thermostat valve?

6. qasimsaeed

qasimsaeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @StarCaller, radiator is cold even at 95C. Radiator fans are throwing cold air. This mean thermostat is stuck. Where it is located on the engine and can I replace it myself at home?

7. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you have a head gasket problem most time the coolant expansions tank level be higher, discoloration of coolant dark dark red to brown instead of bright red, some times one can smell a odor in coolant, there also a test kit that detects hydrocarbons in coolant, pressuriding he coolant system to see if there a leak down some times it's a Crack cylinder head or block! the only way I know to test thermostats is to remove it and put it boiling water to see if it opens ! better to have a well season mechanic check it out!

Robert Holt likes this.
  8. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another thing it could be is the water pump. It would have the same symptoms (though I think the Prius would throw a code? Someone with more specific knowledge might know).

I've replaced a thermostat on a 85 Camry. They haven't changed much since then. Can be done at home, directions for most cars:

http://www.toyota.com/toyota-owners-online-theme/pdf/ThermoHowToBroch.pdf

Not sure where it's located, but if you look for a circular connector with two bolts on your engine with a radiator tube fitted, that's most likely it.

They're usually around $20, so if you're accessing it, you might as well buy a replacement. Be sure to get one that opens at the right temp - should be 85C if my scanguage coolant temp is correct.

#8 Kevin_Denver, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Gwenessa and Robert Holt like this.
  9. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1 for TSTAT

10. qasimsaeed

qasimsaeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Fixed! It was thermostat that was faulty. It was stuck. I got it removed, cleaned and then tested in boiling water. It worked fine after cleaning. Installed it back and now temperature remains below 98C. Thx to all for the suggestions.

CAM-L21 using PriusChat mobile app

SteveLee, CR94, Mendel Leisk and 3 others like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good to hear!

I would be inclined to replace it anyway though, before too long. At least watch it closely.

If it's got stuck once, it could be performing outside of spec, the opening and closing times, and have gaskets starting to harden and fray. When you do replace: place both thermostats in a pot of water on stove, watch their behavior as you raise temperature. If you've managed to get to it you're now comfortable with the process, and looking at maybe $30~50 for a replacement?

12. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    don't take a chance; rather get a new one //

Mendel Leisk likes this.