1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine rattle and lack of power

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Wespo Prius, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Wespo Prius

Wespo Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the Prius. I bought 2011 with 103 k miles and had it for 3 weeks. Everything was working great until yesterday afternoon. When I tried to drive back from work and started it up as soon as the ice engine turned on horrible rattle came from it. Engine was shaking and not running smoothly. Car was to weak to drive and engine was almost choking when I tried to add more gas. I had to have it towed to my mechanic but he has hard time to find out what the problem may be.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bookmark these videos by @NutzAboutBolts :

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

For a first step, I would check out the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) pipe (video #16). This is a connector pipe between the EGR valve/cooler and the intake mainifold, relatively easy to access, and it's condition will give you some insight as to the rest of the EGR system, upstream. The EGR system has been turning out to be very prone to clogging, and is a strong possiblity to be involved.

If the pipe has significant clogging, and in any event, the next step would be full cleaning of the EGR circuit (video #17)

Also while there you can clean the throttle body (video #14).

It's also an opportune time to clean the intake manifold (video #24)

Another thread, on EGR:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

The EGR system can clog the intake manifold, and another source is the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve, bring gasses over from the zone above crankcase. Good thread on that, and installation of OCC (Oil Catch Can):

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

Some reference material attached:

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • Did your Prius throw any dash lights that need to be read?
    • Does your mechanic have Techstream?
    • Any history of accidents with your Prius?
    • Did you drive your car for a short distance prior to this event?
    Keep us posted (y).

Mendel Leisk and qettyz like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^This. The one time I've experienced a rattle at start up, the day previous I had rolled the car out to the driveway, and had the engine start up for a matter of seconds. This should not have to be a behavior you have to avoid, but it apparently is. Why is not clear yet.

If you need to move the car a few feet, try to do it in 10 second bursts, using the few (reliable) moments of EV when starting the Prius cold. Theoretically there's an EV mode button, but in practice I've found that's NEVER available with a stone-cold engine, which is the one time I could really use it.

If 10 seconds bursts aren't going to do it, leave the engine running, let it warm, say for at least 5 minutes.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Wespo Prius

Wespo Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you all for such quick response.
    Since I'm not that mechanically inclined I'll forward Mendel Leisk suggestions to my mechanic.
    To answer Raytheeagle questions.
    No lights on dashboard.
    No accidents ( at least reported ) and my mechanic says that ithe car doesn't show any indications of any.
    I drove 17 miles to work and with no problem. This happened when I tried to drive home. After work.
    Not sure about the Techstream. Will ask.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you try to power it down and start it back up?

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is your mechanic familiar with the Prius?

8. Wespo Prius

Wespo Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, I tried to power down and power up few times. Also , waited a bit to see if the rattle would subside but after 30 sec or so I figured it's no use. Especially after few tries. Plus there was this smell of ... gas or something and I didn't risk it.

My mechanic, I,be been going to with all my vehicles is the guy that I trust. To say he knows Prius well it could overstatement since they not break that often. He worked on some , yes.
    I told him about Mendel Leisk suggestions and he said he was about to do that so I'm positive.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’ve experience this rattle that you’re describing as well. I left the Prius in the garage for a week without driving and when I turned it on, I heard a rough rattle in the engine compartment. It’s probably something that’s choking the engine while it turns on. It’s runnjng normal and no check engine light. It’s probabyl a normal symptom of these types of Prius, I still can’t figure what it is since it hasn’t cause a check engine light. This is probably the second time I’ve experience this symptom.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Interesting clue. One thing I can think: a cold-start engine will be running rich. Maybe one of these years there'll be something conclusive, what's causing this. Do post anything your mechanic comes across.

scona and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Wespo Prius

Wespo Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Gentlemen,
    I just heard from my mechanic and it seems Mendel was right from beginning. After cleaning EGR rattle stopped and engine start running smoothly again. He hasn't test drive it yet but he is optimistic that was the problem. He was just surprised that build up happened with "only" 103K miles. Not likely but if there is a different or another problem yet to discover I will write it and correct this post.

Thank you all for the help.
    I've been shadowing this forum for a while and I knew abundance of knowledge and help that you guys provide. Much appreciated.

In your experience is there a way to recognize problem with EGR in advance? The car was running perfectly in the morning and there was no indication whatsoever what was to happen. I never heard any sort of knocking in the morning and we had some low temps recently. Just curious if there is a way to tell in advance.
    Is there anything else I should watch for with mileage the car has already driven?

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did your mechanic have the cooler out of the car? Just seems like that happened kinda fast? Or maybe he was in progress when you posted?

I work like a crippled snail, and that would have taken me at least 24 hours, going full-bore (which I never manage), to adress the complete EGR system, from the connection to exhaust manifold, through to the intake connection. It's also good to do the intake manifold while you're at it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Wespo Prius

Wespo Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Not sure about cooler and manifold. I'll pick up the car tomorrow so I'll ask him.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Same question here, I'm about 9k miles til 100,000 miles and it's at that point when it needs to be done, not looking forward to it. o_O

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The signs will be subtle, much like battery degradation over time ;).

What I noticed prior to doing our egr swap at 120 k miles was the mpg slowly degrading over time. I started to troubleshoot causes and then when I had my old man out here (a set of experienced hands that would be here for a bit of time in case I ran j to issues), we swapped out the cooler:).

At 120 k miles the cooler wasn’t completely clogged, but it was restricted :(.

I will be doing the cooler swap the weekend after Easter (along with a nice list of other preventative maintenance) if you are interested in participating / watching @grid (y).

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What Ray was referring to is the "infamous" cold start rattle that Toyota is aware of. It only happens under certain circumstances; mainly after the car is restarted a number of hours after a very short engine start up (like moving it out of the garage). It sounds horrible but seems to be relatively harmless according to Toyota. It's caused from a buildup of moisture in the air intake system so a longer run time (and warming up) doesn't cause it. It also needs to be cooler weather which promotes water condensation.

There are examples on youtube:

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All it took for me to dive in, at 72K km's, was the clamor here, I'm easily stampeded. I did have one cold-start engine knock event.

18. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    @wespoprius Hello from Chicago as well! I just purchased a 2013 with 103k yesterday. Getting ready for some major maintenance as Mendel suggested to hopefully keep it running great for many miles.

#18 Bgustafson, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Wespo Prius

Wespo Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi again.
    So, I got my Prius from mechanic and she's humming again like supposed to. I am very happy although partially unsure. Mechanic cleaned out EGR but not necessarily cooler or manifold as Mendel suggested. There was nothing for me to do since it was already put back together. Regardless I am happy camper.
    Now, I know what clogged EGR sounds like and will be aware. With set of Nutz about Bolts videos already bookmarked perhaps I could take some repairs into my own hands next time.

Bgustafson, I hope you wont have to come to fixing your Prius in the first month of ownership. :) All best.