1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Rattle...

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by masterh, Jan 16, 2023.

1. masterh

masterh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    2013 Prius c 240k miles.

I've been having engine rattle issues here and there. So I cleaned the EGR. (wasn't that bad)
    I couldn't clean EGR cooler because I couldn't undo the bolt.
    Car ran fine for couple days without rattle.

Now it got worse. It rattles even after I parked the car just few minutes. I did notice some coolant drop......
    but oil looks fine. No misfiring or check engine light. I've never seen a white smoke.
    It also throws coolant warning light randomly for 5 sec even if the tank was full.

So let's say head gasket is blown and the car rattle after parked for 5 min. Does that mean the leak is really bad and coolant got into the cylinder in just few minutes?

I think I should do the head gasket test (Reld head gasket tester $20 on Amazon) before looking at other parts? (clean intake manifold, clean injector, clean EGR cooler I couldn't etc)

What's your suggestion?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For 20 bucks, I’d do the test. But if you’re going to keep it and repair the head gasket if necessary, you’ll need to clean everything anyway

3. masterh

masterh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So Im in LA. It rattled bad when it was raining. Weather got nicer today and it didn't rattle?
    I heard prius can rattle in cold weather but LA weather isn't really Cold? hm....

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    moisture getting into something?

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    c isn't really known for head gasket drama but it is technically possible.

The rattle is technically a misfire that the ECU doesn't care about because it is still trying to start the engine.

At 240k your third set of spark plugs should have been recently installed- that has a big effect on combustion quality.

Fuel quality iffy, temperature & humidity maybe making the difference maybe?

6. masterh

masterh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So I did a block test (you can rent it from oreilly)

Am I supposed stick that into the plastic reservoir tank? (black plastic cap)
    the car turned off pretty quick so I kept pushing the gas pedal. It did not change the color.

I tried radiator cap hole too (the one right next to it, metal cap) but it sucked the coolant and it got mixed with the tester fluid. lol
    It looked pretty simple to test from youtube but I am not 100% sure if I did it correctly.

7. masterh

masterh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I still have Coolant Loss issues. I am going to do a pressure test.
    Can anyone tell me which cap I should use and what PSI would be safe?
    If I can't see anything leaking in engine bay after pressurized, I am going to look at the exhaust area too. (Looks like it's common)

I saw this video on regular prius. Can it be related to Prius C? (Prius C reservoir cap is not twist cap like that though)