1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine revving/knocking sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by andrewmarse, Feb 22, 2014.

1. andrewmarse

andrewmarse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius with 106k miles on it. After driving at highway speeds for 20+ miles and then coming to a stop, the engine will rev way up for a few minutes before calming back down. Additionally, in the last 10k miles, it has started making a bit of a knocking sound. This sound happens from slow to medium speeds. The engine is consuming oil and I have been getting it topped off at Jiffy Lube whenever I fill my gas tank. Any ideas on what might be causing these two seemingly disparate, but potentially related, issues? Many thanks.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The engine revving can come from a high HV battery SOC. If you were going downhill prior to the stop and the SOC reaches 80% then the engine will rev to start MG1 and throw off battery charge to try to get it back down to the 60% range.

As for the knocking are you checking oil level between fill ups? Your oil level could be getting low.

ThePrius11 likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take a look at the traction battery state of charge on the MFD. If you see that it is showing 8 green bars when this happens, then the reason for the engine revving up is that MG1 is spinning the engine to burn off excessive traction battery SOC.

A knocking sound usually means that the engine has excessive wear, for example at a crankshaft bearing. That will cause the knocking sound.

How much oil is the engine consuming per 1,000 miles?

ThePrius11 likes this.